seizure in my sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
think i had a seizure last night while sleeping, woke up and 17:45pm such a long sleep ha, had dry blood in my mouth and on my pillow was aching like i had been to the gym and done a good workout, and my head was pounding, dont feel too bad now taken pain killers so my headaches has gone and im a bit more awake, its such a nightmare, i am soo scared that one day i am going to fall asleep and not going to wake up again. i put pillows near the walls so that if i do have a seizure i dont injure myself, still wake up with bruises tho.
still waiting for epileptoligist appointment to see if i have epilepsy taking soo long though.

Bummer!....

...anybody around to watch out for you? If not, I would take extra precautions for awhile...these can come in 'spurts'. Hopefully you've gotten it out of your system for awhile, but if you are not getting some help soon and they worsen?....

Please be careful!

Good Luck
:rock:

i have had quite a few in ma sleep i have been having seizures for 17 months nw and still havent got any answers it soo frustrating could i actually suffocate in ma sleep and not wake up agen x xim soo scared

Is there any one to help you nearby?...

...if you don't mind me asking of course!

erm well i live with my mum and dad but i sleep wit my door shut coz i have too dogs and they are in and out of the room if i leave the door open, so they dnt always hear me especially if they are asleep dogs r noisey too, i dont no what to do i dnt want to worry my mum n dad and have them listening out all night for me making a noise, thats what it was like when i first strted having them, its soo annoying i feel like alittle baby having to be watched all the time

I am not gonna make that call in YOUR case....

...as I am not qualified. But yes, people do occasionally die from epilepsy. These statistically are the rare exceptions to the rule however and I choose to play the odds myself.
I have terrible, violent grandmal (tonic\clonic) seizures which, if I let them, could rule my life and the lifestyles of those around me. For me, life is too short to be scared...and I try to put the 'chance' that something catastrophic might happen to me in the farthest reaches of my brain so I can enjoy life as much as possible.
I know you are scared...you have every right to be...I'm really sorry you have to endure this. But please try to find something in your life that makes you smile...makes you feel calm...de-stresses you during this time of extra helpings of crap!
It will help you more than anything else can IMHO.
:twocents:
Please look this forum over and read about research on SUDEP and other things like nocturnal epilepsy!

Check out the following:

Sudep?

nocturnal seizures, neurofeedback, seizures

Hopefully it will help put your mind at ease!

Peace
Spencer
:rock:

Last edited:
Yes you can die from a seizure in your sleep, my daughter did last year. There is a website where you can buy a safety pillow. Another suggestion is to purchase a video baby monitor. Your parents can keep the monitor in their room so they would be able to see if you are having a seizure. There are many factors that put people at risk of dying from a seizure. You might want to go to the Raise website as they deal with this. You can also google SUDEP for more information on this. There are people that live a long time with E. Please don't focus on SUDEP. I believe that when it's your time, there's nothing you can do about it. Of course, you could be crossing the street and die from being hit by a car. Live your life to the fullest and remember to always be happy.

And, this is all you can do at this point:

Too much worry can give you stress! Too much stress can cause seizures! And that's not fun at all.
It's a catch 22.
If you worry, the seizure is more likely to happen.
If the seizure happens, you'll worry about the next one.
If you worry about the next one, another seizure is likely to happen ... Just a vicious cycle, isn't it?!

I've been hit by cars 3 times, I've been in a hospital at least 7 times as a kid and I've been in a bad car accident while not driving. None of these incidents were related to epilepsy. If I were you, I'd avoid a bath or swimming pools. That's practically the worst thing you could do with epilepsy, but otherwise, be careful and try to stay out of the same trouble I've been in throughout my life!

I've had a bunch of seizures in my sleep, too. I'd avoid those pillows near your head. Seizures come and go. You'll be OK when you wake up. You seem to be doing the best you can with aspirin, ibuprofen, Tylenol...etc.

Last edited:
Your folks didn't think to check on you when you slept all day (until almost 6pm)? :(

You can die from seizures. It's called SUDEP (sudden unexplained death from epilepsy). You can also end up in status epilepticus (where you have seizure after seizure without ever regaining consciousness) in which case someone better call 911 to get you to an emergency room.

Hang in there and keep trying to find a solution for your seizure control.

yeah course they check on me but if they come in and check on me which they do most mornings early and wake me up i am not very happy although i no they are trying to protect me it feels like they are treating me like i am a baby. and i rebel which i shouldnt really do, i am going to have seizures no matter what i do or dont do its just learning to live with them and the dangers thats the problem.

shower is broke at the min aswell so have to get a bath, which is also scary too although i dnt lock the door and someone listens out for me.

Well, I understand wanting to be independent, but you also have to be sensible. Have you considered getting your dogs trained? You might be able to get them trained to respond when you have a seizure. That way, if you do have a seizure, they could go and get someone for you.

Back
Top Bottom