Seizure at the pool.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Today was the most odd day I've ever had.
My twin and two friends and myself went to the pool since it was 100 degrees today. We had been playing around in the water for about 30min before anything happened. I was feeling fine but had been having a longer complex partial seizure everyday, so probably not the best choice on my part to go. (Lesson learned).
My friend had been pushing me in the water and grabbing a hold of me and throwing my under- well the seizure started and my friend didnt know it. So I went under and that is all I knew- my friends and my twin realized I wasn't moving or responding and helped me from wandering around or hurting myself. Its just so crazy that it happened. They were going to call EMS since I was asked to if I had another seizure- meaning meds are not working etc.. but I said no. I don't remember saying no but I guess I did. But my friend Rachel said next time, its off to ER weather I want to or not. Need to check blood level or find out why my seizures are not stopping. Its been making me sick and tired, weak and edgy. Normally I have 1-2 long complex partial seizures in one month and almost no shorter complex partials (under 30 sec). So for it to be 4-5 CPs in a week is a lot for me when on meds. Without meds I would have 10+ a day.
Anyways- what a scary day!
Just the thought that my friend had me under water as it started was crazy- my worst nightmare. Rachel was in the middle of saying something was wrong as I went down. So my friend never really knew what was wrong till after.

I stopped going swimming for 10 years because I was afraid of having a seizure and not being able to control anything. Being semi-conscious makes it real hard to do anything. I think I'm not going swimming for a while!

Wow, I'm so sorry -- having a seizure in water is very frightening. Thank goodness you were with friends. I hope you get the medication stuff figured out. And I guess be extra careful in the heat...

Best,
Nakamova

Awwwwwww,

man, Crystal, that just sucks a hill o' beans. I'm sorry. Hopefully you get things figured out soon. Stay cool! Maybe you can just dangle your feet over the edge of the pool? Or sit on the steps?

I am becoming afraid again of the pool- even though I know how to swim and have enjoyed it a lot. I think that I will probably just sit on the edge and not go in. When I do go in, I cannot use my hearing aids and so it makes communication difficult. So I think for right now, no swimming until I get my seizure under better control.
It was just scary to me, just scary to know it happened.

Be safe everyone..
Crystal

I really miss taking my kids swimming, before I had my first seizure, I used to take my daughter twice a week, but my 2 boys have never been. As I am a single parent with epilepsy, with a daughter with epilepsy, I think the lifeguards would have a coronary at the thought of us 2 and 2 young boys! It's the one thing I REALLY miss, even more than driving.

Maybe you could invite some friends to be with you and your boys? I was so thankful that I had my twin and best friend Rachel who has Epilepsy, and my other friend there with me. I am still freaked out about it because I remembered earlier today that I went under and felt my body stay still and water become level with the top of my head and hair. Then I don't remember anything else. Just scared me that I was under and could have inhaled some water- freaks me out to think about it.
BUT I am thankful for my twin and my friends that helped me.

I plan on going swimming again but not right now LOL.

Everyone take care, be safe.

About two weeks ago I decided I wanted go swimming in my apartment complex.I had my husband Dennis with me.I found out later I'd had a seizure in the pool.I never go swimming unless someone is with me but know one should swim alone anyway.
Belinda:agree:

Right- I agree. I am blind and hard of hearing and without my hearing aids I'm deaf. So I prefer someone to be with me becuase of three reasons- or becuase of my disabilities. But I still like to have fun but I'm more nervous all over again. Epilepsy is what kept me from swimming for almost 10 years.
I was talking with Rachel, my friend who also has Epilepsy, last night about the incodent. She reassured me that everyone kept me safe and didn't let anything happen to me... and I said "I just remember the water being level with my head and my hair just sort of floating around, I dont remember anything else." It almost made me cry. Just a loss of control, being semi-conscious, and being put in such a dangerous situation just really got to me.
Thank you everyone for you replies.
-Crystal

I don't really have many friends left now, none of them knew what to say to me at the end of last yr (post in riva's memorial) and they just started avoiding me, and the one friend who still talks to me has never seen me have a seizure and has been honest with me that she wouldn't know what to do if I did, so there isn't really anyone who can go with us. I am very glad that you seem to have a group of very supportive friends and family around you. Give them a clap!:clap:

I am lucky to have friends and family that are supportive. My Mom doesn't seem to understand a lot about seizures themselves but its understandable since we don't live at home anymore. She helped us a lot when we were little and teenagers with Absence seizures and complex partials. Now they are a little longer and sometimes cause more trouble than before.
Anyways- I would educate your friend, if you feel its a good idea, about your epilepsy and how to help you during a seizure- they may be more receptive of the idea of helping you than you might think. But you never know- you would obviously know your friends better than anyone else lol.
I've noticed that my friends or my friends' friends tend to be pretty receptive about how to deal with someone with deafblindness as well as seizures- but education is a big part, knowing how to communitate information also helps.. emphasise the basics. Wish you the best..
-Crystal

Back
Top Bottom