Seizure without knowing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenn2482

New
Reaction score
This has happened quite a few times too me when I'm awake and talking to people. . All of the sudden my mind gets garbled & I have a hard time trying to say what I want to say or writing things down, or even the same word over again . I am with the picture the whole time , could this be a kind of seizure ?

Yup, that's a kind of partial seizure called a "Complex Partial". It features impaired awareness -- you're conscious, but not necessarily in control of what you are able to say or do. Make a note of it in your seizure diary (if you have one) and let your neuro know. You can read a bit more about complex partials here:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1183962-overview
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...etween-simple-partials-complex-partials-1872/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/complex-partial-seizures-epilepsy-4857/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/seizure-without-knowing-24776/#post289

this is basically how my husband's seizures started. I remember a Christmas party where he kept asking me over and over: What did Mark get (present)? I would tell him and shortly he would ask again, like a stuck record. Days later after continued questioning, he said he "knew" what Mark got just because I had told him so many times but he was completely blank about the experience at the time. Weird and frustrating.

When I was first diagnosed, it was only convulsive, but Complex Partials started to manifest about two years later. I had almost the same exact symptoms as you described.

I agree with Nakamova on the seizure journal. They are as important to document as full convulsive seizures, as this may help for current and future treatment. Every doctor I have seen ask if I have one, and they all recommend it.

I make mine into a spreadsheet so it's easier to read (my handwriting looks like a 5th graders). I mention the date, time and length (if I can remember), if it was convulsive or non convulsive, symptoms/any auras I may have had beforehand, if it was witnessed or not and highlight if it happened at work or at home. This may also help them pinpoint any triggers and if there's any correlation.

Sounds like a complex partial seizure. I get very disorientated/spaced out and can find it very difficult it speak, I know what I want to say but I can't actually say it or it is very slurred/stammering. Sometimes the only way I can communicate during a complex partial seizure is by squeezing someone's hand, it seems to be the only part of me that doesn't get affected. Or I'm so spaced out that I can't respond to anything, I can usually still hear what's happening but don't necessarily understand what people are saying.

I've had plenty of seizures without knowing.That's most of my sz's
.I don't justJust have one kind of seizure though. I have simple partial, , tonic-clonic,generalized,complex partial,absence.my seizures are forever changing and I never what mine may chage to worse or get better.

Last edited:
I've had plenty of seizures without knowing.That's most of my sz's.I don't
Just have one kind of seizure though. I have simple partial, , tonic-

This is the same with me. Usually unless there is someone there to see it happen I don't even know it did. The only time I may know is if I have a very bad headache or if something in the house is wrong.

I was doing a crossword puzzle once and had a seizure. I didn't know that I'd had it until I came out of the seizure and looked at the page and saw I'd scribbled all over it. I also had one when I loaded the dishwasher - it was done in a very interesting way.

If I'm repeating words, slurring my speech or not talking right in general I don't know I'm doing it. I think what's coming out of my mouth is what should be. I was on the phone with my friend when I had a seizure once. I was just talking away to her, not saying what I'm thinking I am, and couldn't understand why she kept asking me questions about what I was talking about. I was aware of what was going on the whole time but what she was doing and why she was doing it just didn't make sense to me. And of course what I was doing didn't make sense to her either - lol.

Back
Top Bottom