Seizures During Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have read a few times that a pregnant woman having seizures could be harmful to the unborn baby. Can anyone explain what the risks are?

I may have had some seizures while I was pregnant without realizing it. My baby was born with epilepsy, and I am wondering if my own seizures (if they were indeed seizures) could have been the cause of my son's problem.

The greatest risk is that trauma caused by the seizures could rupture fetal membranes, and thereby increase the risk of miscarriage, infection or premature birth. There also appears to be a connection between seizures during the pregnancy and low birth weight.

So I think it's much more likely that your son's epilepsy is the result genetics rather than anything that might have happened during your pregnancy.

During both of my pregnancies, I had epilepsy and was taking Dilantin during the time. I don't recall suffering any seizures during the pregnancies, maybe a few auras during the first trimester. Afterwards, is a different story. Both of my children were over 9 lbs. when born and healthy. Neither of my kids suffer from epilepsy, just me.

I did have one miscarriage before these successful pregnancies. (I almost forgot about that one).

Back
Top Bottom