Seizures and exercise

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with exercise-induced seizures?

I began running in a bid to get fit, but had a seizure first time out three times in a row. The doctors said each time that it wasn't due to the running, but you start to doubt it when you see such an apparent correlation.

I should say that I don't run very far (about 3 miles), and I'm a little out of shape (but not overweight).

Thanks in advance

I exercise reguarly and have not found there to be a direct link to seizures induced by exercise. However saying that, hyperventilation during exercise, excess sweating therefore potential for dehydration and generally tiring yourself out are all pointing in the direction of seizure making...so I guess it just depends on your tolerance levels and if you're having a good/bad day.

Not sure if that helps, don't know if theres a definitive answer to that one but just see how you're feeling before exercising...if its one of those sluggish days give it a miss!

If I overexert myself I'm prone to have a seizure.

Could running 3 miles be a little to far to be running right now maybe? I know if I even tried to run that far it would be like I was going across the country (but I'm pretty out of shape)!

Try taking the distance down and slowly working it up.

I think I posted a reply to one of those other links, as I've wondered about this as well. I don't think it's the exercise itself that causes it, but more the stress/other factors involved with exercise such as heavier breathing, the use of blood sugar, dehydration/etc. There are TONS of changes that take place in the body while running (which is why it's so good for you), but those changes could also trigger seizures. Prior to medication, I had a few simple partials during running (usually when it was early in the morning - looking back I think I was sleep deprived).

I noticed on Monday after I had done a long, difficult race on Sunday that I felt a little off. I wasn't really sure if it was the medicine, or the exertion the day before, or maybe just being dehydrated from running. I made sure to drink extra water and made sure to take in enough food and I was okay. I think as long as you do what your body can handle, hydrate well, and eat properly, you should be okay with some running. Maybe try walk/running at first until your body adjusts to harder workouts? I always warm up with some walking prior to running, and always start slow and then build up speed as I warm up. It seems to help as the physiological changes between inactivity and activity aren't so great if you warm up first. I apologize for the long response - I'm slightly obsessed with running (if you couldn't tell by my screen name!) and it's something I've had to think about with the seizures.

I copied and pasted this list from a link that lists several common seizure triggers, and you'll notice that several of them can be caused by running - especially if you're sleep deprived/stressed/dehydrated all ready/etc:

Q - What are some of the factors that aggravate seizures?

A - While some people with seizure disorders will be able to recognize and avoid common triggers, there is no real way of knowing when a seizure will occur or what will necessarily trigger one. The following are common factors which may aggravate seizures.

- Rapid change in body temperature
- Over heating
- Dehydration
- Poor nutrition
- Hypoglycemia/hyperglycemia
- Sleep deprivation
- Depression and emotional stress
- Hyperventilation
- Not taking medication as prescribed
- Drug overdose
- Strobe lights
- Menstrual cycle

Note that usually it is a combination of several factors that increase seizure activity such as not sleeping well, eating irregular, stressed about school, and over exertion during an aerobic class may trigger a seizure.

http://www.pelinks4u.org/articles/conatser0609.htm

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. It's clear that exercising must place an additional strain on the body and I'll have to be careful.

My problem really relates to the philosophy behind running. I am quite competitive (if that's the right word) and always set out to better my times (even when I haven't been running in a few years!) so that's why I'm coming a cropper. The trouble is, if I accept that I have to slow down when I'm getting a bit overheated or not train on the days I'm feeling sluggish, it will end up becoming an excuse.
Part of the joy of running is to feel yourself at a limit and psychologically trying to push yourself to keep going...harder to do when you know a seizure might be coming as a result...

Thanks for all the tips anyway

I understand the need to be competitive! I'm the same way, and I can't say I always follow my own advice 100%, though I've gotten better (thank you, injuries). If you build yourself back up slowly, you should be able to get back to your old level in small increments. I do most of my training runs fairly slow (minus the occasional speedy run) - slower than most people I know - but I usually beat those same people in races because I've been able to do more training by slowing down my runs. See, so it's good for both seizure control AND performance to slow down :)

Back
Top Bottom