Seizures and obsessive thoughts

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi, Strike,

I had obsessive thoughts, but a different kind. Mine were dark thoughts urging me to action. I was able to just use willpower to remove myself from the situation and get through it. They started when I went on Lamictal, then subsided after a few weeks. Then came back when we increased the dosage. The higher the dosage, the stronger the urges. They eventually went away.

Do you think yours is seizure-related, medication related, or something else?

Last edited:
I'm always having obsessive thoughts. Is that seizure-related?

Before I knew I had epilepsy, I would wonder why I had obsessive thoughs, and wondered how I got to places (would not remember I had driven). Before I was diagnosed with Complex Partials I would be even more upset. At least I know why.

I'm actually on disability for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so yea, obsessive thoughts dominate my life pretty much, and I engage in senseless rituals to try to get rid of the thoughts. A lot of times though just thinking (without any compulsions) drives me nuts, too.

That makes sense that if you are more compulsive that your seizure would take more of a toll. Your brain is in such an intense overdrive that I would think that would really bring on a seizure. Is there anything that you are doing to try to help with the compulsions? I used to have a severe eating disorder (still do, but under control) and that would always make it worse. I suppose that is a type of compulsion as well. Good luck!

I'm not officially diagnosed with anything yet, cuz I just got EEG test last week, will get results next week. I believe though that I have post traumatic epilepsy. I get clicking and sensations in my brain constantly, when I get obsessive sexual thoughts. they get a little intense, and I would get more mental exhaustion. It's a sad and embarrassing disease, because I can't think anything about sexual related. If I do, I'd get more mental exhaustion and my career would be in jeopardy. I can't get a wife/girlfriend ofcoarse and ppl kept wondering why I don't have one/play with girls often. Hopefully I get diagnosed and treatment.

I've been recently diagnosed with Complex Partials and I also have compulsive thoughts, and have forgotten how I got to places when I would drive. Obviously this did not help my marriage (we are getting a divorce). At least I know why I was doing dumb things. I initially thought I was psychotic because I was hearing music (was my aura). And also this is good because I now know that this is a precursor to a bigger seizure (sometimes Complex, sometimes Simple). Have a good and thorough diagnosis, and this should include different types of EEGs (in office and at least 72 hour ambulatory).

Hi, Strike,

I had obsessive thoughts, but a different kind. Mine were dark thoughts urging me to action. I was able to just use willpower to remove myself from the situation and get through it. They started when I went on Lamictal, then subsided after a few weeks. Then came back when we increased the dosage. The higher the dosage, the stronger the urges. They eventually went away.

Do you think yours is seizure-related, medication related, or something else?

I had OCD with intrusive thoughts for years as a child. Since I started Lamictal they have come back. You post is the only on I can find relating to this. My neuro said it wouldn't be the Lamictal but I'm not so sure. Did yours go with time?

Back
Top Bottom