Seizures permanently having negative/permanent(?) affects on memory

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This topic is quite interesting to me as I have someone who I care for in my life that I honestly believe that she regresses in her learning & memory ability if she has more than the usual episodes of seizure activity.

If there occurs not much ..if any seizures I find she's more happier & motivated to learn.

So, going by the responses by some of you, that memory gets impaired by the seizure activity especially the tonic/clonic's...does that also impact on one's ability to learn new stuff also?...

and to retain it?

I find that if it's something that I really like or I'm interested in then I have an easier time remembering it than I do if it's something I don't.

Gosh I most really be messed up! I'm having several problems with remembering all Freaking sorts of things! Constantly! My husband and family gets so aggravated with me after a while. I do hate that, and it becomes depressing. You know we can't help it& it ticks me off!
Terri

Oh Im so relieved to have found this thread! My memory is SHOCKINGLY bad these days, I'm forgetting appointments, conversations I've had, and I swear I cannot walk into a room without forgetting why I initially walked in there... its so annoying!!
Does anyone else have an issue with time keeping? These last few days I have just lost hours, seems I blink and an hour has gone by!

So, going by the responses by some of you, that memory gets impaired by the seizure activity especially the tonic/clonic's...does that also impact on one's ability to learn new stuff also?...

and to retain it?

My memory has been terrible every day, but I don't have full blown TC's that often. Usually partials and staring spells. It is also hard for me to retain new information.

I'll give you an example. I was playing a card game that I never played a few nights ago. It was a relatively simple game, but I completely forgot what to do about five minutes in. I needed my girlfriend to explain the rules again. A few turns later, I didn't know who's turn it was. Everyone kept saying "It's your turn", but I forgot. I needed them to tell me what happened.

Work related tasks are especially hard for me because the company always adds more and more stuff to the policies, and we have to go through training. Lets just say they aren't the happiest with me, but they do understand.

Is there a correlation between TC's and memory? It definitely sounds like it. But in my opinion, I think any seizure effects memory.

I told my neurologist what happened to me in college, where I just seemed to get dumber and dumber and quit after squeaking out with my associates degree after 2 years. I asked her if it was the meds or my t c seizures. She said it was probably the seizures. Now, if I have something new to learn it is very very difficult - and I was a pretty smart girl until all this started in my teenage years.

The bad part to this is I know I have a difficult time learning new stuff, so I have resisted doing new things, learning new computer programs, getting new jobs. Instead of trying harder, I've shrunk away from hard stuff and that has affected my life greatly. I am very disappointed in myself.

I am very disappointed in myself.
Don't be! Even someone with an entirely healthy brain can have problems with motivation, fatigue, discouragement, and moving out of their comfort zone. It's okay to be frustrated with epilepsy (yes it sucks) but don't be frustrated with yourself. Try and be gentle on yourself and give yourself pats on the back for what you can do instead of focusing on what you can't.

As a side note, if there's a chance you are struggling with depression (relatively common in people with epilepsy), it can help to see a therapist, or look for other ways to connect with folks who can provide support and guidance.

:hugs:

@ Valeiedl.. I think that happens to those who also don't have Epilepsy there's that tendency to remember what really interests us

Selective learning :)

Thanks
I am always searching for some answers in terms of what my Daughter must feel like after seizure activity. I can see the frustration in her behaviors & I can only imagine what if must feel like for some of you just not feeling that sense of control.

But just remember everyone has good & crappy days Epilepsy or not, its just how you cope with good, bad & ugly ..& if you are fortunate to have someone else in your life that loves you no matter what & it's reciprocated as with most relationships ..seems half the battle is over I think... :)

I get it. This is such a great thread. The memory issue is so bad for me sometimes that I have just had to learn to laugh about it. My son (12 now) and girlfriend (who lives with me now) have made a running joke about some of the things I forget immediately. I can laugh now because there's been an acceptance of the fact that this is just something to live with and why beat myself up about it.
I do however, volunteer as a cashier and that keeps me trying and challenging myself so there is practice one day a week, for memory skills. At the food Coop they understand.

It is important, but the more you worry about it the worse it becomes. Like looking for your keys when your in a hurry. My son gets on me for my memory, but I have had a lot of seizures. The best thing is to be calm and if it is important enough it will come back at the time. I am the first to say it is seriously embarrassing but life is going to go on with or without a good memory. Try to make humor out of it if you can.

Back
Top Bottom