Seizures in the Shower

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I'm 15 now but I had my first tonic-clonic seizure-my first seizure ever-when I was 13. I was in the shower and the water was hot because when I first got in, I turned it all the way because it was cold. Then it got super, scorching hot, and by that time I was shaking and jerking so badly I couldn't control my muscles or hands to turn it down. Before I passed out I felt my head turning all the way around but of course it can't physically do that, so I had to turn with it. Then I passed out.
I had another seizure in the shower a year ago and experienced similar things. My question is: why in the shower? Is it the hot water? Being relaxed? Also, why do I only have tremors when my eyes are closed?
I'm on medication now for seizure & migraine preventive (Zonegran, two 100 mg pills each night.) but sometimes when I'm in the shower and ONLY when my eyes are closed, I have tremors. I'm not sure if that's the proper word for them but it's like the precursor to a seizure but I don't actually have one. I just shake and jerk and feel light-headed. If I open my eyes and force myself to keep them open, they'll stop completely.
Do you guys have any ideas on why this is?

Never use just hot water when you shower. I've had several docs tell me not to take just a hot shower , and it has nothing to do with my seizures.

Hi equinedreaming,

I had my first TC seizure while stepping out of the shower and hit the hot water faucet as I fell. I landed back in the tub with really hot water running on my back, arm and breast long enough to suffer 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Prior to the TC seizure, I had been experiencing CP seizures and had been to the dr, but the dr. said I was hypoglycemic, so put me on a med for that. Plus, it was "that time of month". So it was while I was in the hospital for the burns they ran multiple test and I was diagnosed with epilepsy-catamenial Epilepsy because for me they were hormonal.
The tremors or precursors may be an 'aura' to a CP seizure. Actually it sounds like a SP seizure. Do they happen 1st thing in the morning? Plus it could be the stress to your body causing it.
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Do you get enough rest?

Check out this website:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures

Ouch. Maybe it's related to reflex epilepsy?

:hugs:

Last edited:
Hi equinedreaming,

I had my first TC seizure while stepping out of the shower and hit the hot water faucet as I fell. I landed back in the tub with really hot water running on my back, arm and breast long enough to suffer 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Prior to the TC seizure, I had been experiencing CP seizures and had been to the dr, but the dr. said I was hypoglycemic, so put me on a med for that. Plus, it was "that time of month". So it was while I was in the hospital for the burns they ran multiple test and I was diagnosed with epilepsy-catamenial Epilepsy because for me they were hormonal.
The tremors or precursors may be an 'aura' to a CP seizure. Actually it sounds like a SP seizure. Do they happen 1st thing in the morning? Plus it could be the stress to your body causing it.
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Do you get enough rest?

Check out this website:
[/url]

Goodness, that sounds so painful! I'm glad you're okay.
Luckily when my first TC seizure happened, the upper half of my body fell out of the shower so I didn't drown.
I take my showers at night, so the tremors/shaking happen then, usually around 8-9 PM. Sometimes I've had the tremors in the morning, as well, though. It's like I can't properly wake up and I'm still half-asleep, along with the shaking and jerking.
I get about 8-9 hours of sleep every night & I'm staying away from caffeine and MSG per neurologist's orders.
I haven't had my hormone levels checked before but it always seems something seizure-related happens to me in November. I had my first seizure in late November, last November I had tremors so badly and so often I was going to do a sleep-test EEG, but they stopped.

It's funny, to me at least, but the one place that I've never been scared of having a seizure was in the shower. I've had four of them in the shower too that I know of.

During three of them I fell out. Luckily I didn't hurt myself very bad but I did knock the sink off the wall once. The last one I didn't know I had until I was in the bedroom and took my robe off and unwrapped my towel from around my hair. I saw that my body was still covered in soap and my hair still had shampoo in it.

When I was first diagnosed my family wouldn't let me take a shower unless there was someone in the bathroom with me for almost two years. I don't think I ever had a seizure during any of them.

I always wait until the water is the right temp to get in. I don't get in while it is hot and wait for it to cool down and I don't get in while it is cold and wait for it to warm up.

Had my first seizure in the shower as well at 13. Was at a basketball camp and got restless in my second day of training. Had a tonic clonic in the shower and broke my jaw.

Triggers for me are the lack of sleep, excess stress on body, variation of light. Going from a pitch black room in the morning, to a vanity mirror in the bathroom, to a pitch black shower with occasional light poking in. I usually have a series of myoclonic jerks that can potentially become seizures if you aren't "aware" enough. I've had about six in the shower since my teenage years. All in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom