Seizures and the Weather

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Silat

New
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, how much does the weather influence seizure activity? I know it has an effect on migraines, because of barometric pressure changes, but is this also true for seizure activity?

Here's why I'm asking this. I was sitting in my room (I have the windows blocked in case of lightning from storms, major trigger for me). It was deathly silent, and all of the sudden a seizure aura hit me. Hard. Not the normal "oh hey an aura is starting" but more like "jeez I feel like I got hit by a train" aura.

So I stumbled downstairs, and looked out the front door. Two tornados had formed from a wall cloud that was directly overhead and went right by our property. By "Right by our property" I mean the closer of the two twisters was about 100 meters from our fence line. I live in the country, in Illinois, so twisters are pretty common, but this is the first time I've noticed an increase in activity when one is around. Of course, this is also the first time in a while where I've been through a rough-patch of sorts as far as my E goes.

(By the way, yes I may be a little insane for not being freaked out by a twister that close to my house. I just watched it til it dissipated, about a quarter mile from where I first saw it. It was in fields so there was no damage other than some flattened corn. We get them all the time in Illinois, and I actually spent some time in my teens before I developed E chasing them, so I have no fear of them what-so-ever.)

Once the wall cloud was past and the twisters had dissipated, the aura let up. I still have it, and the storm is still overhead, but it was much worse while the wall cloud was overhead and the twisters were nearby.

So now I'm asking myself, are weather and seizure activity interconnected? Or was this just a fluke cooincidence?

Side note: I had no idea there was even a storm. Twisters are pretty much silent until they're right on top of you, and then they sound like a freight train. Once you hear them, you've got about 20 seconds to find cover. The twisters were also in front of the storm along the front of the wall cloud, which is a little unusual, so no rain or lightning had gotten to us to warn us there was a tornado on the way. In front of the twisters it was clear and sunny outside, like a normal day. So since there was no sound, lightning, or rain to tip me off it was coming, it wasn't stress that caused it, and the lack of them also indicates to me that it wasn't the lightning or sounds that may have been triggers. Because they hadn't happened yet.

Opinions?

I know when I lived on the West Coast where they have rain for 6 months straight every year that my seizures were more frequent & severe in the winter. I'd often have a HUGE seizure that would knock me out for a day usually the day before the winter rain started.

I really couldn't tell if it was barometric pressure, temperature, lack of sunlight or just the depression associated with the lack of sunlight that did it though.

They should send some of that rain my way...
We've had a drought up until tonight. Been worried about growing enough food. :(
And yes, my family and I grow a lot of our own food. We're old-school like that. :D

The thing is, I'm wondering if it is barometric pressure. Because when tornadoes are nearby the barometric pressures go crazy because of the rotation both of the twister, and the cloud above it. There's also a pressure wave that goes in front of the storm, which is what the storm follows... so that pressure wave is the only thing I can think of that could have triggered the aura, and since there were twisters in the storm, it must have been a pretty big pressure wave....

Hmmm.... I dunno, gonna have to research this more. :?

I find the weather does affect me too!
I try not to follow the weather too closely but sometimes I feel my face start to spasm and I wonder, hey, is it going to rain soon?

I bet you were frozen with fascination when you saw the tornado! We're so used to strange things that an uncommon weather occurence doesn't seem so shocking!

The weather does affect our health for sure. Asthmatics could tell you that for sure.

i find i have more seizures in the warmer months. heat is a trigger for me.

not that it's necessarily weather related directly, but I've found some strange correlations to sunspot activity (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_5m.html) that I don't really take that seriously, but I do find curious at times, including these past three days of activity, in the relation to my seizure activity over that same time period.

and yes the sunspot data is something I check after I have seizure activity (if it comes to mind), and not vice versa

Back
Top Bottom