Sense of smell, loud noises

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have sensitivity to certain smells and loud noises, it gives me this nails on a chalkboard sensation.*shudders* I use the close caption tool on my tv rather than turn up the volume.

I think the meds slow our brains down and sometimes we just don't like too much input. I am happiest when I am in a very quiet place, with just a bit of water flowing...................

I was put on Keppra, and while taking it I did become sensitive to smells, I don't know if it because of being taking off dilantin. Dilantin did and does now lessen my sense of smell.

I was more sensitive to noises also on Keppra. I could stand for the TV to be on. But I was just a mess on Keppra.

Now with the B-12 deficiency causes by dilantin. I might need to change.

I haven't had a seizure since March.
I don't have the dark depression, or the insomnia.

My seizures don't come as often, they don't last as long, and they are very middle.

Just looking around on the forum to see what others are taking. I am so scared to change med.

This is an interesting topic. My friends jokingly call me "Super Nose" because my sense of smell is so exaggerated. Things that other people don't notice are overwhelming to me. I plugged an air freshener into an outlet earlier this week and every time I walked by it for a day or two, I thought the smell might make me have a seizure. I actually ended up taking it out. I wasn't sure if the thought that I was going to have a seizure from the smell was my paranoid mind being scared of having a seizure, or whether there was really any merit to the thought. It felt like an aura, though, so I didn't want to keep testing it.

loud background noise also makes me loose my train of thought, it happens a lot at work then i become angry and blow up, i know it's the meds as i used to be a pretty easy going guy. now i am aggitated most of the time, it's not gooood

i also have sensitivity with smells....but i can get this horrible smell a cross of drains and cheap perfume it go on for days i know i going have seziours when it happens

Smoke/Noise

I moved in (renting) last year with a woman who smoked indoors and it correlated with some of my worst seizures ever, particularly at the start. It's better now that I've moved, but I also got disability which more than anything else seemed to reduce the seizures a lot. So I'm convinced that a major trigger is stress. Anyway, I've always been sensitive to loud noises and flashing lights, but probably more so now. I think most neurologists say to avoid those if you have epilepsy.

I have tried to find what triggers do it to me for years. I slowly discovered that lecithin in my diet ALWAYS does it. And the trick is that after eating it (in some food like a chocolate bar, it is so common and i avoid all foods with it now. This includes eggs. Egg yolk is a very high concentration of lecithin) The thing is after eating it in a day or two later I will have like three seizures in a day. I think it is full metabolized by then and because it is a neuro transformer it triggers my brain too much. But now a friend pointed out that it happens when we have too complex conversations that involve multiple fears. But I also noticed in the old days that seeing suffering people triggered my siezures. Like walking in the city and seeing a man with no legs crawling through his vomit in the alley would cause me to seize. May the homeless children at night with no where to go and hungry.

Keppra smell

I find Keppra makes ME smell, to me anyway, luckily my GF says no but to me its strong.

Strong perfume smells make me have seizures. It never bothered me until about 3 years after I was diagnosed with epilepsy. For me, new "triggers" have made themselves known every few years, so this may just be a new one for you.
I am convinced that strong, unpleasant odors cause me to have seizures.

Strong odors especially perfume or chemicals will trigger a seizures for me. I don't hear all that well because of tinnitus but loud noise hurts my ears. I know that sounds weird.

Strong odors especially perfume or chemicals will trigger a seizures for me. I don't hear all that well because of tinnitus but loud noise hurts my ears. I know that sounds weird.

Doesn't sound weird to me.

I'm an apartment manager and I can no longer conduct inspections of apartments because some of our residents smoke or the apartments have pet odors. After a heavy smoker moves I have to wait until our maintenance man tells me it is safe for me to enter the apartment. I also can't be around air fresheners. We have some people that think they need a fresher in ever other outlet. Most natural essential oils do not bother me. I use many of them in a difusser to scent the air.

I have permenant tinnitus I almost forget it and its the sound of drilling a road unlike the high pitch one although I get that at times also

Back
Top Bottom