Sex!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blessed

New
Reaction score
Ok, now that I have your attention.............. I was wondering if anyone knew of a possible connection between epilepsy and sexual difficulties. I know a lot of the meds can wreak havoc on our hormones and mess up our sex drives but has there been any research done that just having epilepsy makes sex difficult or less enjoyable? I know some of us may have to deal with seizures during sex but it seems to me that since sex originates in the brain there has got to be some connection. Or maybe there is a connection that is missing or misfiring?????????

Yes as you stated per research, the findings are conclusive.

In eastern medicine, the second chakra is located in the genital region. There is some evidence that emotional trauma can be stored in the body. It's possible that this could have some direct relation to seizure disorders for some people.

Now that I have lowered mysoline down to 50mgs a day , I am interested in sex again and and my body doesn't need herbs to have sex. Some meds do lower your interest and
excuse me but dry you up,like mysoline did to me.

Riva

What's sex?:dontknow:

My diagnosis of epilesy scared the shit out of my husband. And raising a second family like we are doing, there really isn't any "Us" time.

However....many of the medications used to treat epilepsy also are used to treat depression and they are notorious in altering the libido and/or response.:(

What's sex?:dontknow:

My diagnosis of epilesy scared the shit out of my husband. And raising a second family like we are doing, there really isn't any "Us" time.

However....many of the medications used to treat epilepsy also are used to treat depression and they are notorious in altering the libido and/or response.:(

I have to agree with Birdy's response. That's the
most common compliant running worldwide from all
the research and studying I've done so far, especially
the latter line.

When I did a research on the second line: In the
Pharmacology and Neuropharmacology which also
includes some Psychiatric drugs that are used in
conjunction with AED's also produces the same
effect.

The result was equal on men & women.

NOTE: I am not a Medical Doctor nor am I a
Pharmacist, however my deceased father was
a long time Pharmacist - and I do have some
knowledge in this field, and I am only sharing based
on the indepth studies I have veered into the path
in the Professional's (not Customer's) end.

I am only sharing this information because
sufficient information is there and can be found
in various places - open to the public on the
internet, library, and can be purchased for your
own personal library (while expensive).

Sex? A distant memory, for more than one reason.
smile0034db.gif

... but has there been any research done that just having epilepsy makes sex difficult or less enjoyable?

I just stumbled across an old blog post that addresses this topic:
Mind Hacks said:
Sexual neuroscience is one of the most under-researched areas in the human sciences. A quick search of PubMed (the international database of medical research) shows that we know more about the neuroscience of hiccups than we do about orgasm.

Part of the problem is practical. fMRI scanners, some of the most useful and popular tools in cognitive neuroscience, involve lying in a tube while scanning takes place and need the head to be completely still. Add the fact that you're being watched by neuroscientists and none of this makes for relaxed coupling, or even self-stimulation.

Nevertheless, pioneering researchers have tried to tackle the problem with other methods. A Dutch team led by Gert Holstege used an alternative form of brain scanning, known as Positron emission tomography or PET, to study orgasm in men. PET doesn't have the same cramped conditions as fMRI allowing for a bit more sexual freedom in the lab.

They still had some considerable problems to overcome though, not least of which was timing an orgasm to occur during a predefined time-slot, during which brain activity could be monitored. PET requires a radioactive tracer to be injected into the bloodstream, and although the radiation is very weak, it's best to use only as much as necessary. This means the intuitive approach of continuous scanning and waiting for the pop of the cork is just not feasible.

On orgasms, epilepsy and the lack of sexual neuroscience

It's a pretty interesting blog. I visited the home page and read some of the more recent postings too.

Bernie and I actually took a relationship building class years ago, which included one weekend of sex therapy. We worked on me a bit. While I am more frequently "in the mood" , I still have not gone over the top but maybe once or twice. No fault of Bernie's. He's awesome!.

Very Interesting article, Bernard! Maybe my husbnd and I should go volunteer for the study! How embarrassing would that be!:oops:

Blessed
Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy since 1982
25 mg. Zonegran

Very Interesting article, Bernard! Maybe my husband and I should go volunteer for the study! How embarrassing would that be!:oops:

You shouldn't be embarrassed, it was a problematic
issue for me. My Gynecologist years ago exhausted
just about everything he could think of, until he just
blurted out, "are you epileptic?" after realizing I had
miscarriages, ovarian cysts, then having surgeries to
remove some of the cysts, painful sex, irregular cycles
and then he finally found out who my Neuro was and
had a talk with him.

The hardest part was getting the 'husband' to take
his responsibility which he would not, since I could not
handle the birth control anything that was available
(at that time) and according to my 'husband' that
was the quote "Woman's responsibility". This blew the
fuse of my Gynecologist who threw my husband out
of his office (YES - he yelled at him and called him a
lot of things including irresponsible unfit husband).

The EFA Chairman (at that time) advised counseling
so that he would understand, as at that time, very
little was known about women's issues, and they were
still studying on this but it wasn't fully recognized but
they knew there was a problem with women who were
epileptic and oftentimes if they had so much problems
like I did, they recommended hysterectomy, and I was
advised to have it, but I declined it, partially because
I was scared and didn't understand what all was going
on as I would be fine (after the seizures were over),
so I couldn't figure out why have it done. I had hopes.

My mother had a hystorectomy, but I never thought it was related to her epilepsy. I bet it was.

New study published in Epilepsia:
The use of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) can lead to decreased fertility and increased incidence of reproductive endocrine disorders in both men and women. A new study published in Epilepsia investigates the effects of withdrawal from two common AEDs, carbamazepine (CBZ) and valproate (VPA), on the sex-hormones of male and female AED users.

The study finds that reproductive endocrine dysfunction resulting from AED use is reversible, even after years of treatment. After withdrawal from CBZ and VPA, sexual hormone levels returned to pre-treatment levels, and treatment-associated reproductive endocrine changes reversed.

Epilepsy Drugs May Cause Sexual Disorders

To be honest I have almost no sex drive at all, unusual for a 35 year old man, but taking pregabalin (and having previously been on carbamazepine for 16 years) just left me thinking "oh, it's a female" and going back to thinking more about fantasy literature, heavy metal and Arsenal (soccer team in North London, I used to be a season ticket holder).

To be honest I don't really feel anything when I think about it. It's something people do that I have almost no interest in.

I've been in love only once, and the main thing for me was the desire just to be with someone and share our lives, to try to make the lady I loved happy, and it was the most depressing time of my life, as all she wanted was an emotional doormat while looking for a £40k/year sperm donor.

I ended up throwing myself into my obsession with Arsenal to get over it (some glorious days spent standing on The Clock End at Highbury... good memories there).

Back
Top Bottom