Shaking after a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I think I might have brought up something to deal with this in another post sometime, but it's gotten worse now.

I've noticed after I have a seizure, I had one last night and I don't think I blanked out during it, I started shaking. It was usually just one arm and sholder or one leg at a time, mostly in the arms and sholders, and this went on for about maybe an hour until I fell asleep.

I don't think this is any sort of a grand mal but could I be wrong? Or could it be something else?

I have had the little shakes every so often that were like "chills" that started happening within the last year. They were worse when I first started getting them, I'd shake like crazy for a few hours, but they weren't seizures I was having. The neruo gave me some med for it but I can't remember what it's called.

Usually after a tonic clonic i get strong bouts of shaking, like severe shivering as if it's cold. My neurologist thinks it's some sort of shock reaction to the seizure. I just can't get warm afterwards either. It normally lasts for quite a while, or until i'm piled up with blankets and i fall asleep.

I do have tonic clonics were I will shake, very rarely, but I know this wasn't one. The shaking started after I was almost out of the seizure. I just don't understand why it's started happening now?

Perhaps you should check with your neurologist to see if he/she can shed any light on it...

When it first started about a year ago, when they were really bad, lasting for around an hour, my neuro put me into the hospital to have tests done. I was hooked up to all sorts of things and did have them while I was in there but he couldn't figure out why I was having them.

He thought that maybe they had something do deal with depression or stress so I was sent to a psych. He said he didn't think I'm depressed, and I don't think I am either. I'm usually the life of the party. And I don't have any more stress going on with me than the average person. He put me on venlafaxine but my neuro took me off of it because he didn't think I needed to be on it. I was still having the shaking going on when I was on that med too however.

Back
Top Bottom