Sharp headaches

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Heya, i keep getting headaches which feel like they've crashed into the side of my head and then feel like they're shooting across my brain, behind one eye.

Is this something to do with the epilepsy? I've had rather a lot today in quick succession and it makes me scrunch my eyes up and want to hold my head til it goes away. They normally last anything from a few seconds to a minute, like someone's slammed an ice pick into the side of my head. It's nearly always on the right side of my head too.

Is this normal or anything i should be worried about?

Lou,

You need to see your doctor or go to urgent care and get it checked out to make sure it isn't something serious. Headaches are a tricky bunch to diagnose and treat properly. And, a headache can be a symptom of something else. Are you feeling any other symptoms?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stroke/DS00150/DSECTION=symptoms

in the meantime, it sounds a lot like a headache that is actually called an "icepick headache."

http://www.migrainesurvival.com/stabbing-headache-or-icepick-headache

Thanks for that Endless. I think it is ice pick headaches because it feels like it goes from the side of my head at a very specific point (i can actually put my finger on it) and seems to go behind my eye and often around the area of my nose/cheekbone too on the right side.

I had about 4 or 5 quite close together while my friend was here and a couple earlier on today. I used to get migraines when i was younger too, like high school age, so it all seems to fit. I haven't had the sharp pains for an hour or so now, just left with a bit of an ache.

From the looks of the article there's not really much that can be done about it :ponder:

I have the same thing going on, though mine occur just above or behind my right ear (temporal lobe). Occasionally they'll occur elsewhere...just about anywhere (temples, back of my head), and occasionally the pain will 'emanate' into my face. I can actually feel it's 'path' as it travels. They are usually brief, maybe a second long, and if I experience one, I'm almost sure to experience others later that day.

What's weird is that I sometimes feel sharp pains identical to this in other areas of my body? - in my arms, legs, hips, groin. And these often emanate back to my brain. And like the ones that occur in my head, they all give me a sort of 'woozy' feeling, brief, but definitely felt.

I should also mention that these head pains seem to be just below the surface of my head, as opposed to deep within.

Last edited:
I dont know if its related to medication, but I was having the same kind of headaches for years when I was on Keppra and Carbatrol. I was taking excedrian migraine medication to help treat them. They would always occur on my sides and upper head area. It wasnt until November 2010 that the dr I am seeing now, switched me to the Keppra XR and the headaches went away.

I'm on Keppra and Tegretol (Carbatrol) too. I have had these headaches since... well i think for a good few years now, i can't exactly remember when. I recall mentioning it to my neurologist when i was first diagnosed and he basically just said "oh, ok". They're really bugging me at the moment though. Sometimes none for days, sometimes a couple in a day, but not usually as many as there were today.

The brain is a funny thing, eh?

Yeah I remember having them often. Sometimes I could go for a few days without one, but I usually had them alot. My mom would call everyday asking if Ive had a headache that day? It got to be so random. But once my dr switched me to the Keppra XR, within days of starting that they all went away. I was just amazed that they were gone, just by going to the XR! I hope your dr can help you and you can find relief! I remember getting them all the time and how much I wished they would just disappear!

I'm much better today after a long sleep. I had a few partials yesterday though, am wondering if that was anything to do with it. Haven't had any of the headaches today though, so yay!

i get mega headaches too and it only on left side beside my eye so painfull sometimes.... it coud be related to the meds i keep forgetting to say to the doc of it

A side effect of many of the AEDs is headaches. I've been on 10 different AEDs and a some of them have caused headaches for me, some more intense than others.

From http://www.drugs.com/keppra.html:

Less serious Keppra side effects may include:

-dizziness, spinning sensation;
-drowsiness;
-feeling irritable;
-headache;
-runny nose, sore throat; or
-neck pain.

Less serious Tegretol side effects may include:

-feeling dizzy, drowsy, or unsteady;
-nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain;
-headache, ringing in your ears;