Should I ask doc to drive again?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jan4you

New
Reaction score
What do you think I should do. Last January I experienced "jamais vu" and met yet another neuro who thought I had both complex and simple partials. He did an EEG and Brain MRI. He thought I had temporal lobe epilepsy.

However, this went into a bad exacerbation of MS symptoms and hospitalization where he ran yet another EEG which showed some abnormal slow waves.

But now, I have not had any signs of complex partials since Januray 2010, that I am aware of ( I live alone) and only slight indications of simple partials.

This month, Epilepsy has been ruled out with 5 day video EEG in hosp. My epi doctor did say the EEG showed some abnormality but its not epilepsy. She said my sz activity falls into a "nonspecific" category of seizure disorders. She is thinking its more related to stress of MS or my autonomic disorder.
She kept me on Neurontin and said I would prob being doing lots of video EEG. Why I wondered.

She and my last neuro told me I could not drive.In the hosp in March I had dejevu 2 times with some auditory hallucinatory seizures.

I am on disability from work awaiting SSDI as my MS exacerbation last March left me with some residual problems.

But I am keeping a log..and outside of a few second "odd burnt smells" I have not had any other activity or signs of loss of consciousness. I have never had TCs.

I have my license..but do you think I could drive? :ponder:
My epi said I could not drive, keep track of any signs or symptoms and I see her next in August.

thanks...jan

The thing is

that auras ARE a form of seizure activity---hence, NO, you really shouldn't be driving, IMHO. Let me explain why.

While you may actually GET auras RIGHT NOW, you MAY NOT get them at other times. Frankly, I don't get ANY, EVER. And truthfully, with my t/c's, I'd KILL to have SOME warning.

Some people who have auras all the time, and strongly enough that drive anyway, know exactly when to pull over so that they don't cause any problems on the road. I'm sorry, I truly don't advocate this, *no offense to anyone* but there will be a time when their judgment is just THAT MUCH off, and SOMEONE will get hurt, badly, and possibly die--because of their desire to drive.

I've had to give up driving before, several times--and I had LITTLE kids at the time. Nope, it was NOT fun, I hated every minute of it. Husband was mad as a hornet at me. But, everyone was safe, and that was the most important thing.

OK, I'm off my :soap: now. Sorry.

Meetz
:rock:

Sorry....

But I do agree with Meetz for all the same reasons.

Well what you are saying is 2 secs of a smell is an aura? I am totally aware of what I am doing.

But I was told its NOT epilepsy. I have no signs of unconsciousness.

What is the criteria to drive again?

thanks for your responses,

Jan

Yes, the

burnt smell is called an OLFACTORY aura. Because you smell it, and it's really not there.

As for whether or not you're unconscious during a seizure doesn't always apply. Some people are still aware of what's going on during their seizures, but are unable to respond. There are many different types of E, and seizures.

In regards for the criteria to drive, that varies by state. Some states say 3 months, some are 6 months to a year. Some COUNTRIES ban you for 3 YEARS.

Best to check your Motor Vehicle website to find out.

according to the online medical dictionary an aura is epileptic.

epileptic aura a type of simple partial seizure, experienced as a subjective sensation or motor phenomenon, that sometimes signals an approaching generalized or complex partial seizure.

http://medical-dictionary.tfd.com/aura

Also, be careful even though you may not think you're completely conscious during a seizure. I was alway very confident that I had my wits about me during a seizure until one day I had one while walking on the sidewalk. I was coming up to a bus stop but by the time the seizure was over I was half a block past it. I had non memory of passing it as though I had blocked out but I kept walking & it would have appeared that I had my senses about me.

I've since had a few incidents like that, including coming out of a sz & being in the middle of an intersection so just be careful when assuming you have your wits about you.

Ok.. I know you are trying to be helpful..and I do understand what you are saying..but.. here's my delimma. What you are quoting to me is for EPILEPSY.
I DO NOT have epilepsy according to my epi doc after reviewing my 5 day video EEG.

I never had my license taken away,but if I did..its 3 months before you can get it reinstated in Wisconsin.

I have NEVER had TCs. I am probably having autonomic signs..like goosebumps. I never heard of having goosebumps stopping someone from driving.. NOTHING happens after I have goosebumps.

I have NOT had my license taken away.

I also was told my lesions are not temporal lobe epilepsy seizure lesions. In fact she seems to have rule out temp lobe epilepsy.

See why I am so confused?
Nothing is happening..but some rare signs.. "like" or pseudo auras..but these pseudo auras are NOT auras... if its NOT epilepsy, is it?

Jan

I believe that you are safe to drive. I understand that you are not diagnosed with E, however, even if you were, you are still allowed to drive with only simple partial seizures.

This is from http://publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/docs/catE2.pdf
Persons with ONLY simple partial seizures, who never have any interruption of alertness and who remain always in physical control of themselves, are safe to operate motor vehicles.

Hope this helps. What state are you from?

Just saw that you are from WI....here is your states info. http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/drivers/aging/medical.htm

Last edited:
I understand

that you are not diagnosed with E at this point; however, you may want to seek a 2d opinion, just to be sure.

Also, IMHO, I would NOT get into a car with ANYONE having simple partials, period. I would NOT get into ANY car with any type of impairment to their mental state, even if they retain control. Sorry. I've seen too many things go wrong.....

But that's just me...........

yES MEETZ.. I agree.

This epi doc IS my 2nd opinion. I trust her. Just wondering.. as this is so confusing.

I voluntarily cancelled my car insurance and gave my keys to my sister when I thought it was epilepsy.

This is not over yet.. but she did rule out epilepsy.

So now what?..I see her next in August.

Thanks for all you responses.

Jan

Hi - I would definitely listen to your doctor if they say not to drive. In my view (for what it's worth), I look at it this way: could you live with the consequences if you harm yourself, those you love or innocent others - both emotionally, physically or financially (lawsuits from accidents, etc...)? The answer is easy, then, in my opinion.

However, that being said, I think there's a certain threshold of time (that you are 100% seizure free) that would cause more security in the ability to drive.
Good luck whatever you decide to do. D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom