Should I change my doctor?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

katzy

New
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm in a dilemma. I have been seeing my current doctor since 2006 . I was referred to her by my pediatrician(I was 12). She's an awesome doctor and a really nice lady. However, her office is kind of far; about 16 miles away. I take public transportation since I'm afraid of driving. I have to take 2 buses just to get to her office. There are other neurologists in the city where I live. It would only take me like 15 minutes (2 miles) to get to these doctors. I'm reluctant to change my doctor because she has been treating me since I was a kid and she knows my condition really well. What do you guys think? Should I change her or is it better to keep her since I've been seeing her for a long time?

edit: I think I posted it in the wrong section. Belongs in the Kitchen maybe?

Last edited:
Katzy -- A good doctor, such as the one you describe, would be glad to give you a referral if you tell her your dilemma! And in the future if you need to consult with her again, you would both be glad to see each other! And you might decide to stay right there anyway.

No matter what you decide, good luck! Bidwell

Hi katzy, I moved the thread to the kitchen. :)

Have you discussed the possibility with your current neurologist? Is she sympathetic to your commuting difficulty? She might be able to help you with your decision by referring you to someone closer, and or offering to consult with a new doc. You could also ask if she would "keep the door open" if a new neuro didn't work out.

Katzy -- A good doctor, such as the one you describe, would be glad to give you a referral if you tell her your dilemma! And in the future if you need to consult with her again, you would both be glad to see each other! And you might decide to stay right there anyway.

No matter what you decide, good luck! Bidwell

I'm just worried that the new doctor won't be as good as her. I'll talk to her about it next time.

Hi katzy, I moved the thread to the kitchen. :)

Have you discussed the possibility with your current neurologist? Is she sympathetic to your commuting difficulty? She might be able to help you with your decision by referring you to someone closer, and or offering to consult with a new doc. You could also ask if she would "keep the door open" if a new neuro didn't work out.
Thank You :)

No I haven't discussed it with her yet nor have I told her about my commute. Would I offend her if I ask her to refer me to a new doctor? lol

Because your reason is geographic convenience not dissatisfaction with her doctoring she shouldn't be offended. You could break the ice by asking if she would move her practice closer to where you live. :)

How often do you have to see her? If it's only a few times a year I would stick with her if you like the way she's been treating you. If the visits are frequent enough that it's really a hardship then you might explain that to her and ask for a referral.

Cheers!

Because your reason is geographic convenience not dissatisfaction with her doctoring she shouldn't be offended. You could break the ice by asking if she would move her practice closer to where you live. :)

I think I'm going to take arnie's advice and stick with her. :)
How often do you have to see her? If it's only a few times a year I would stick with her if you like the way she's been treating you. If the visits are frequent enough that it's really a hardship then you might explain that to her and ask for a referral.

Cheers!
I see her every 6 months. I think I'm going to keep her like you said :)

I'd definitely stay with her, since your satisfied with her.:agree:

Cheers!

My neuro is about an hour away. I've been with him for years and I like him very much. I don't have any public transportation in my area so I always have to find someone to take me. I only see him about 4 times a year so it isn't bad.

There's only one neuro in my area and I've never been to him so I don't know what he's like. If something happened I would change and my current neuro would probably understand why.

Good choice to stick with her. I believe it is very important to care for and trust our doctor/neurologists. My neurologist is in a different city roughly four hours away. After going to neurologists here in Regina, the four hours is well worth my time.

Good choice to stick with her. I believe it is very important to care for and trust our doctor/neurologists. My neurologist is in a different city roughly four hours away. After going to neurologists here in Regina, the four hours is well worth my time.

4 hours?!!!!! and I'm here whining about 2 bus rides lol

Back
Top Bottom