Sick of this hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Try going to a new doctor. Have you seen a Dermatologist?

Sounds to me like you need a different doctor. Have you seen a Dermatologist?

I have been to a few doctors they are all saying the same thing. Eveey doc keeps sayin i cant see a dermatoligust cuz i am been paeanoid basically. Do you rhink this hair loss is part of the meds or not? it only started when i took the meds. I am nit on meds now been off 5 month but hair loss is still there. If ut is part of meds will it stop"

Do you need a referral to see a dermatologist? Where I am from we dont need a referral, we just find one call up and make an appointment.

Well the doctors wont refer me cuz they think am being paranoid. Do ya think if it is off the meds it will stop falling out and grow back?

To be honest crazychick I dont know. I guess it depends on 'why' the hair is falling out. I would call around and see if you can make an appointment with a dermatologist in your area and see if they have more answers.

It may be related to the medication you were taking or it could be hormonal. Our bodies work in some funky ways.

The doctor wont refer me.I have to make an appointment theough the doctor. Its just been going on to long now. I just dont know what else to do.

i've just started losing chunks of my hair due to a lupus flare. the only thing helping is nioxin. its a shampoo, conditioner, and scalp treatment for women who are losing hair due to medications or disease and stuff. its actually helping. its kinda expensive but my hair is getting a little bit of its texture back. of course, if my flare gets worse, more hair falls out, but the bald spots are easy to cover up with scarves and stuff.

i just decided, that if i go bald, i will tattoo my head all hippy-ish and wear rainbow scarves around my neck. it might even be convenient when i need an eeg, no more hair problems. lol. i could totally pull it off.

I still say seeing a dermatologist should be your next step. I am assuming you have already tried the Hair Vitamins that you can get from the Vitamin Shop.

Try silica, (or silicea in some cases), it's the main active ingredient in most hair skin and nails supplements. Naturally the just silica tablets are of a higher dose than the vague supplements.

You mentioned you're tempted to shave your head, this actually isn't a bad idea. If out still falls or having no weight to pull on it and no length to break, the drs might take you more seriously.

I also where with whoever told you to try a new gp.

I havent tried the silica no. Can ya buy this seperate? i have tried all the gps in my surgery. I cant see a dermstoligistwithout being refered by my gp.

Yep, silica is available on it's own as a supplement. Health food shops stock it. I hope it helps.

I have always had very thin hair and now I find myself having to "rat" my hair to comb over almost bald areas. I have found using mouse really helps to create more body and I also use a product for fine thin hair that is in a green bottle. I only use the cream rinse, but there is a shampoo, hairspray, etc.

I just remembered something. When we lived in the South a beautician recommended black-strap molasses as a remedy for thinning hair, maybe because of the magnesium, although not sure, was never brave enough to try.

Last edited:
There's a chance your hair loss has nothing to do with the seizure meds. Have you talked to your PCP about it?

Genetic Testing through "23andme" is expensive ($200), but it does genetic testing for alopecia. It doesn't diagnose, but it does see if you are predisposed to it by your genetic structure. It also checks for genetic markers for over 200 other diseases. Unfortunately it doesn't test for genetic epilepsy syndromes.

Carrier Status (44)

Cystic Fibrosis *
D-Bifunctional Protein Deficiency *
DPD Deficiency *
Dihydrolipoamide Dehydrogenase Deficiency *
Factor XI Deficiency *
Dysautonomia *
Hypercholesterolemia Type B *
Hyperinsulinism (ABCC8-related) *
Glycogen Storage Disease Type 1a *
Hemochromatosis *
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (MYBPC3 25bp-deletion) *
Limb-girdle Muscular Dystrophy *
Maple Syrup Urine Disease Type 1B *
Medium-Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase (MCAD) Deficiency *
Mucolipidosis IV *
Niemann-Pick Disease Type A *
Phenylketonuria *
Sickle Cell Anemia & Malaria Resistance *
Tay-Sachs Disease *
Torsion Dystonia *
Zellweger Syndrome Spectrum *
Etc.

<H4>Drug Response (20)

Abacavir Hypersensitivity *
Alcohol Consumption, Smoking and Risk of Esophageal Cancer *
Antidepressant Response
Beta-Blocker Response
Caffeine Metabolism
Clopidogrel (Plavix®) Efficacy *
Floxacillin Toxicity
Fluorouracil Toxicity *
Hepatitis C Treatment Side Effects
Heroin Addiction
Lumiracoxib (Prexige®) Side Effects
Metformin Response
Naltrexone Treatment Response
Oral Contraceptives, Hormone Replacement Therapy and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism *
Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting (PONV)
Pseudocholinesterase Deficiency *
Response to Hepatitis C Treatment *
Response to Interferon Beta Therapy
Statin Response
Warfarin (Coumadin®) Sensitivity *

Traits (55)

Adiponectin Levels
Alcohol Flush Reaction *
Asparagus Metabolite Detection
Avoidance of Errors
Birth Weight
Bitter Taste Perception *
Blood Glucose
Breastfeeding and IQ
C-reactive Protein Level
Caffeine Consumption
Chronic Hepatitis B
Earwax Type *
Eating Behavior

Etc.

Disease Risk (118)

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Age-related Macular Degeneration *
Alcohol Dependence
Alopecia Areata
Alzheimer's Disease *
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Asthma
Atopic Dermatitis
Atrial Fibrillation *
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Back Pain
Basal Cell Carcinoma
Behçet's Disease
Bipolar Disorder *
Bladder Cancer
Brain Aneurysm
Breast Cancer *
Celiac Disease *
Chronic Kidney Disease *
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate
Cluster Headaches
Colorectal Cancer *
Coronary Heart Disease *
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
Crohn's Disease *
Developmental Dyslexia
Dupuytren's Disease
Endometriosis
Esophageal Cancer: h
Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma (ESCC) *
Essential Tremor
Exfoliation Glaucoma *
Follicular Lymphoma
Gallstones *
Generalized Vitiligo
Gestational Diabetes
Glaucoma h
Gout
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis)
Heart Rhythm Disorders (Arrhythmias)
(Hypertension)
Hodgkin Lymphoma
Hypertriglyceridemia
Hypothyroidism
Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy
Keloid
Kidney Cancer
Kidney Disease
Kidney Stones
Larynx Cancer
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS)
Lung Cancer *
Lupus*
Male Infertility
Melanoma *
Meningioma
Migraines
Multiple Sclerosis *
Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
Narcolepsy
Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma
Neural Tube Defects
Neuroblastoma
Nicotine Dependence
Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Obesity *
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Oral and Throat Cancer
Osteoarthritis
Otosclerosis
Ovarian Cancer
Paget's Disease of Bone
Pancreatic cancer
Parkinson's Disease *
Peripheral Arterial Disease
Placental Abruption
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Preeclampsia
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis *
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
Prostate Cancer *
Psoriasis *
Restless Legs Syndrome *
Rheumatoid Arthritis *
Sarcoidosis
Sarcoma
Schizophrenia
Scleroderma *
Scoliosis
Selective IgA Deficiency
Sjögren's Syndrome
Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Stomach Cancer *
Stomach Cancerh
Stroke
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Tardive Dyskinesia
Testicular Cancer
Thyroid Cancer
Tourette's Syndrome
Type 1 Diab. *
Type 2 Diab. *
Ulcerative Colitis *
Uterine Fibroids
Venous Thromb... *

https://www.23andme.com/health/all/

Last edited:
it cant be anythin else but the meds because its all growing back but still falling out if that makes sense?

hair loss / selenium & zinc is helping me cope

I empathize with your frustration.
My neurologist said there are people on anti-seizure meds who have had success with a daily combination of selenium and zinc. He said it may take a few months and of course it may not work at all.

As it's cheap, over the counter, and easy I thought I'd give it a whirl. One tablet of each a day.
As I wasn't monitoring it I can't tell you the precise timing although for me after a few months (3-4, maybe 5?) there was a noticeable reduction in hair loss on my hairbrush. One of those moments where I looked at my hairbrush in the morning "huh". Following morning again "huh". At the same time wondering if it was short-term or if the daily regime would be effective longer term. With a committed effort of a daily dose I'm happy to say it's almost been a year and the supplements have continued to work well.

Note when I am under a lot of stress (work and extensive travel) I have noticed a little hair loss along with my standard canker sores and brutal headaches. I concur with lucycherish and I've Google-d that there are many things which may have the effect of hair loss.
**as with any dietary, physical, and/or supplement adjustment everyone should always check with their Dr. to ensure there isn't a chemical conflict with AED and other non-AED Rx they're taking**

Wether the selenium/zinc combo or another regime I wish the very best for you!

Thank you. My neuro and my doctors are idiots they will not do anythin. They checked my thyroid but basically said i was being paranoid and will not transfer me to a dermotoligist. I have been off my meds 5 monyh now but the hair loss continues along with eyebrows and eyelashes. The eyelashes arent too bad but my eyebrows are like 4 -5 hairs a day. My hair is like when i brush it or wash it. I have been told the hair loss will stoo itself but i dong know now

Something I recently discovered. As you know, crazychick, my hair had been falling out on generic Lamictal. Then no problem for a month. I spoke with my pharmacist about this and he said generic Lamictal, any meds, have different manufactures where different compunds are used. My hair was'nt falling out when my med was manufactured by "Northstar". So you might want to speak with your pharmasist about Keppras different manufacturers.

I take "Hair-Skin-Nails" Naturally Inspired Has 29 key ingredients of Bioten per serving.

Back
Top Bottom