side effects and meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone ever felt really low and depressed from there meds and like there meds are making things worse and not better? and like there neuros and doctors arent helping just hindering things? Im currently on 1500mg of keppra at the moment im having a traumatic time with them, my seizures are not getting better but worse, the meds are making me so angry, frustrated, stresed, like am on edge all the time. does anyone else have this problem? any comments and help would be really appreciated.

I am in the middle of this right now.
Keppra made me crazy. I know some people tolerate it well.
I do not.
I actually ended up in the psych ward because of Keppra. Lamictal was even worse.
I am so sorry that you are having a tough time.

It definitely can happen, and has happened to many CWE members. Keppra is particularly notorious for causing mood swings and rage. What makes it so much worse is if your doctors don't acknowledge what's going on, and won't help you switch meds or taper off them. I hope you can find a way to get through to them -- call every day, camp out in their office, do whatever you can to make them do their jobs properly.

Thanks everyone its nice to know that its not all in my head. its driving me insane. stupid neuro and everyone dont even want top know or do anything else. :-(

It can and does happen. I went thru a deep, deep depression and tried many anti-depressants. As Nakamova said, Keppra is notorious for causing mood swings as can some of the other AED's. What is ironic is that they also use some AED's for mood stabilizers, too. But none of them worked for me as far as depression. I was put on an SSRI along with my AEDs. I used to see a neuropsychiatrist that specialized in mood disorders that go along with epilepsy. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those type of doctors around. So keep bugging your neuro about the side effects and ask for a referral to a shrink or therapist.

Thanx cint. I do bug my neuro but i keep gettin told to ring epilepsy nurse. When i do dont get me wrong shes canny but i just feel like they dont know what there doing or what to do. Because since day 1 of keppra i have told them i have been having side affects but i think they think its all in my head which is why i had to ask on hear. I went for a 6 hourr eeg last week and they said my reusults were fab. So i dont knlw what is causing my seozures. They seem to be getting worse the more my meds are increased. I feel lole im.in such a big long dark tunnel with no end. Av already had 2 neuroligists and i just dont kbow what else to do/think.

carbamazapine cause aggression in me, which doesn't go well in my life style or personality.

Court i have never heard of that med. My neuro will not try new meds even after telling them lots and lots of times about thr side affects they just upped em and side affects are getting worse.

I tend to go into depressing and Keppra sent me over the edge.

I know there are others on this forum who handle it well.

Keep talking with your Dr. (and reading on this forum) till you find what works for you.

-----HUGS-----:hugs:

Lately i've spent the last couple of days looking at previous stuff I wrote on Keppra. I kept a diary of sorts on my computer. Keppra helped my seizure control, but was destroying every other aspect of my life. I was really hostile towards everyone. Then I sank into a deep depression. At a certain point the negative effects dropped off, but these drugs really mess with a person sometimes.

If they make you feel this way your Dr. needs to listen, its serious stuff. I hope you can get some better stability. Remember we are here for you, if you ever need to talk PM one of us.

I feel like keppra is makimg me insane but is making my seizures worse not any better, the more they are increasing them the more my seizures worsen, i feel like am going insane on these keppra 1500mg morning and night.

Hey CrazyChick? Tell your neuro you want to be taken off the Keppra if it's making you this horribly miserable as I have read so far. After my EEG this month, my neuro stopped me "cold turkey" from my Keppra dosage, which was 1000 mg 3x day. Yes, it was under safe conditions he could control (hospital), but it has been one of the best things he's done. I'm clear-headed and I don't feel like I need a nap in the afternoon. Best of all, since he's stopped the Keppra, it has stopped my seizures. Please discuss tapering the dosage or stopping the Keppra altogether with your neurologist, or the patient care tech(s) & nurses in your neurologist's office.

Last edited:
Hi ann t, i have tried twlling my neuro my doctor and the ep nurse i want to try other meds but none of them seem to care. I went cold turkey and i had really really bad seizures where i made mysrlf ill with them. I just dont know what else to do and i dont think neuro,doctor or ep nurse even know. Im just fed up and i want it sorted. Its driving me insane it really is.

Back
Top Bottom