Simple spelling mistakes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I thought I was ask a question of everyone and share some of my experiences that I've been having so far.
I started Lamictal a few months ago while I was on Tegretol 600mg and Keppra XR 3000mg. I've remained on the Lamictal 400mg that was added to my Keppra XR. I told the neuro that I would rather suffer with smaller seizures if it means I don't have to be on 3 meds.
Tegretol XR, Keppra XR and Lamictal.. just too much for me in my opinion.

During these last two or three months, my roommate, my twin and I have noticed my spelling being off. And these are simple mistakes that take me a little while to pick up on. I do type fast and at the fastest, I type around 70WPM last time I was tested.
So sometimes I do type fast and miss a few things or even miss a word in the sentence LOL.
Anyway- I do have a college degree and have had to write plenty of very long essays and research papers. Also I've had lots of experiences in writing. I am also writing for 5-6 deaf-blind organizations about my experience being deaf-blind with residual vision/hearing and being a musician/composer and also my journey to the White House and to meet President Obama in the Oval Office.. It was AWESOME!
So.. I wanted to know if anyone else in this group ever experience having more than usual simple spelling mistakes or difficulty finding words in simple sentences when writing.
For me, I feel that this is a change from my normal self and that it might be related to meds or Epilepsy- but I don't want to seem that I blame everything on the two. I will mention it to my neurologist when I go back and just say that I've noticed this change and don't know if it related to meds or my condition at all- but I think I will ask anyway LOL.

Everyone, take care and I look forward to hearing any response. (Wow.. I just spelled that wrong! "responces". wow.... ugh!

Crystal and her guide Umbro

Yes, I

do. I am a substitute teacher, and a writer as well, so for me, this is a MAJOR problem. I sometimes sit and write, then walk away and come back to re-read the thing at hand. Occasionally I will send something off to be proofed by someone else. And on the realllllllly bad days, I will ask another mod to fix the mistakes for me because I know I have no hope of figuring out what the mistakes are in the first place.

Admittedly, I do type too fast quite often, and there is a key on my keyboard that doesn't work properly (the "b" key). But, my biggest problem has been a combination of meds, and diet. Because I was diagnosed as a celiac patient last year, and went through a HORRIBLE time with it for a while, my meds went WAY out of whack. And yes, I do lose words when I am speaking. It drives me batty.

Like you, I have plenty of practice writing. Shame on me, I don't typically use spell-check.....I may have to start doing that to catch more of the errors on my own.

My neuro is a great guy, and has gotten the meds balanced out--but the problem is really in my gut. If something sets off the celiac, then everything in my body reacts badly. I am VERY careful about what I put in my body, but occasionally, when someone makes something for me.........there's a problem.

So don't feel bad. You're not the only one in this boat. I feel your pain, Crystal. I realllllly do.

Meetz
:rock:

Me too, Meetz! I'm a writer and I just about spell every 3rd word wrong. Thank goodness for spell check. Yet I still have to proof read everything twice, because spell check doesn't pick up on a lot of things (like if it looks or spells like another word.) So, not only is it frustrating, it really slows me down. As for handwriting (which is difficult to read), I say, walk tall and carry a BIG eraser! :)

I don't have a particular issue with typos, but I'm a slow, hunt-and-peck typist. I do occasionally have a hard time coming up with a word or name. It's hard for me to know if this is the result of medication, seizure history, age, or all three. My guess is all three. I do think there's a pretty clear link between meds and certain memory/attention issues. It's mostly a straight line relationship: the higher the dose or the greater the number of meds, the more likely the memory and attention problems are to occur. And the memory issues can be compounding -- the harder it is to encode a piece of information (because of attention/memory problems), the harder it can be to retrieve it later. I've backed off on my dose of Lamictal and I think that's made a difference. When I was on Zonegran, I didn't have that option, and the word difficulties were much more pronounced.

This ahs been a major headache for me recently...I don't know if it is the meds, the increase in seizure activity or a combination of the two. It is very frustrating for me because spelling is my thing...I was a regional spelling bee champion for goodness sake (grrrrr). I've struggled with dyslexic fingers since I've been on aeds, spell checker will usually catch that...now, I find myself spelling phonetically or using the wrong word just because it sounds like the word I want to use. Even if I see something spelled wrong it doesn't always register that it is wrong. It takes me forever to write something too, I've gone from typing 50 WPM to about 20 or less. If I attempt typing fast...well, it isn't a pretty sight :roll: It's very disheartening...I feel like I'm losing little bits of brain on a daily basis :(

My problem is typing words backwords! I know that I am doing it, but I can't seem to make myself stop. I too have the lack of finding the right word, just speaking, not typing. But it does take awhile cuz I have to go back and make all of the corrections! What I really love is the look you get from some people when you are trying deperately to get the word to come out of your mouth :)

Yup.. its my biggest complaint today!! I think its related to MS as I am on a very low dose or Neurontin and this has been happening long before my diagnosis in Feb 2010.

I say and type the WRONG word and every other few letters are typed wrong. I call it dyslexia of typing. I DO NOT have this problem when I am writing, but I noticed my handwriting has changed. My hands have changed and its hard to hold a pen anyway. I cannot even write my name correctly!!

My first name is really MARY and I cannot get the R in there..see?

So..maybe its a brain thing..not only a med thing. LIke I said, its been happening to me BEFORE being on meds.

Hmm...

Jan

I wish my problem was confined to only typing...its there in my handwriting too :( At least when I type I can hit backspace...when I'm writing something out with a pen I have to scratch, scratch,s cratch it out...I've had to tear up I don't know how many checks because I put stuff in all the wrong places and spell it all weird.

Well yeah.."forgetting" or messing up when handwriting includes me not being able to write ALL the letters of my first name!!!

But since I "write" more on the computer...its where I SEE most of my mistakes. Good grief I say !!

Jan

Back
Top Bottom