Single parent social services and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cherriuz

New
Reaction score
Long story short (or we would be here all day)
Me and my partner separated about 4 months ago and I managed to stay off the radar till I ended up in hospital a couple of weeks back and they decided to refer me on to social services because I'm now alone in charge of 2 little people
I've had social care involved before and I'm half expecting them to storm in whip my kids away and decide I can't care for them (even though it's loads better controlled now - I'd had a sickness bug and kept loosing tablets)
Soooo...has anyone else got/had social care involved that can shed some light on what to expect?
I'd really appreciate it - thanks for reading :)

I can't really speak for UK Children's Services, but I used to work for CPS (Child Protective Services) here in the US. Our mandate was to keep kids with their families whenever possible, and in a case like yours, we most probably would have worked with you to find some appropriate level of in-home support, help from friends or relatives, emergency contact equipment, etc. Part of it would also depend on the age of the kids, of course. In the case of the losing pills, they might set you up with a visiting nurse, a pill box, something like that. My thought would be for you to be proactive in getting things like that set up or at least given serious thought so if/when they get involved they will see that you have been proactive. Definitely address the issue of losing pills. That's not OK and probably something you can, and should, get a handle on regardless of anything else. If you do get a visit from the social workers, try to work with them as much as possible, and look at them as allies instead of enemies. In spite of public perception to the contrary, placing kids in foster care is usually the last thing that caseworkers want to do. I hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

Sorry for the confusion regarding medication I meant losing them in terms of throwing them back up due to a sickness bug....which the neuro thinks contributed to the seizure....Not in terms of losing them around the house....they are in a locked unit with an alarm on my phone
Im terms of other things I like to think I'm pretty well organised. My 7 year old is pretty clued up rang 999 at 5 years old and is able to use my phone to ring grandma and grandad and my best friend who both have keys to the house
So I'm hoping that when they do come storming into my life they will take all this into account

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, we have a 'care manager' who withdrew just before I became pregnant the second time and we started again :/
Your Neuro. should be able to verify that this has been an unusual event. If you do not already have a community alarm they may want to install one (a pain if you are on metered electric.)
Ovrall our experience has been quite a positive one, can I ask what the previous involvement was due to?

I am on metered electric!
Previous involvement without going into too much detail was due to mental health and they came swooping in like seagulls after a sodding chip and decided my kids needed to live elsewhere while my mental health was assessed...so...I'm not overjoyed at the thought of them swooping back in on my rather calm and quiet life :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom