Skin problems and Depakote?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you have skin problems?

I really don't know if the problems I'm having are due to my medication (Depakote) or not but I suspect it may be.

I have been taking Depakote since I was 15 (I'm 36) and although I have had problems with itching before when I get warm and start to sweat, I never really had anything like a visible rash.

A couple of years ago, I noticed a red patch of skin on my upper lip where my mustache would grow if I let it. At the time, I had kine of a 5 O clock shadow. I noticed that patch came and went but it always came back.

I made sure to ask my GP what it might be on my next visit but he said he had no idea (Great doctor, huh?).

Anyway, as time went on, it began to itch and the itching spread over my face and scalp and my face actually started flaking. It looks like dandruff. Eventually, my scalp began flaking as well. I did some research and apparently, you can get dandruff on your face. But I was just alarmed because it came on so suddenly. I've never had dandruff in my life and it just comes out of nowhere when I'm 35?

So I tried all kinds of stuff. Nizoral shampoo, Neutragena T-Gel, Head & Shoulders. You name it. If it's OTC, and it's supposed to work for dandruff, I've probably tried it.

Eventually, I noticed that the itching, redness and flaking gets much worse if I go much longer than a day or so between shaving. And if I use Suave Sensitive Skin lotion, it helps somewhat with the dryness and flaking.

Nevertheless, it's really distressing. If I go a couple of days without shaving, my face turns into a flaky mess. It's really embarrassing too. I always have to make sure I shave and lotion myself well before I go anywhere because my face can start flaking unbelievably quickly and the only warning sign I have is a bit of itching.

Unfortunately, although I can shave my head and it helps some, I really don't have the drive to shave my head on a regular basis. It takes a long time, makes a mess and grows back out enough to cause itching and flaking within days.

Anyway, it's weird. It seems almost like the flaking is caused by my own hair.

Anyway, that's the story from my end. I was wondering if this kind of thing is common with epilepsy at all? Especially curious to know if anyone else who's taking Depakote (Or anything that contains valproate) is having a similar problem? Although I think itching is mentioned, the very distressing symptoms I'm having don't seem to be listed anywhere as a major side effect of Depakote.

Last edited:
I haven't ever been on depakote but can't say that I have ever read any side effect like that for it either.

Have you only been to your GP about this? Have you considered going to a dermatologist? THey could tell you if it is truly dandruff or a form of psoriasis or excema and whether it might be related to your meds or not I should think.

Depakote can dry out the skin, so it may have played a role in your current skin disorder. There can be other contributing factors as well -- stress, skin irritation, metabolism/nutrition, etc. so if you can have it looked at by a dermatologist that would be the best.

Back
Top Bottom