sleep deprived eeg! staying up all night. any ideas

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alice123

New
Reaction score
Hi,

On Monday I will be getting up at 6.50am for work (4hours) and then I will have to stay up all night for a sleep deprived eeg 8am on Tuesday.

On the form it says I can have sleep if needed between 11pm and 2am. Do you think I should allow myself sleep seeing as I got up early for work. I don't want to jinx the test. I should try and avoid sleep all together!!

I am having a friend over to watch films hopefully till 12pm and then I will be by my self. I don't like my parents involvement although my mum will be taking me to the appointment in the morning.

Any tips? I can watch films and walk in the garden with my ipod.

I watched Thriller type movies that were really exciting, so I had less chance of falling asleep!

similarly i was told between midnight and 2am, but to try really hard that 2am was the latest. if that wasn't possible, then set alarm for a quick cat nap at 4, but for no more than a 1/2 hour. i did both (about 12:30 to 2, and a few winks at 4).
yep lots of thrilling as well as funny movies, talk on the phone (if anyone can yak with you in the middle of the night that's awesome), and cleaning the house is also a good one. as women we'll do that for hours :) crank music too if you can.

This is an excellent opportunity to do all those irresponsible things you usually wouldn't do. Get Skyrim, World of Warcraft (definitely girl's games and seriously addictive) or some other game. Have a series marathon with the most compulsive title you can find. I suggest the oldies: Prison Break, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes. Newbies=The Good Wife, Homeland, er...nothing else I can think of that's as good as those two. It also seriously helps to have company, so maybe you can ask your friend to stay longer--have a slumber party. Wake up at 2 and watch horror movies.

:agree:

'breaking bad' is another great one, all seasons are on netflix.
games are good too, and if your friend can stay the night pulling out the oldies like scrabble and tile rummy are fun- the hours fly by when both immersed in trying to kick each other's ass!

How could I forget Breaking Bad and Rummicub? Sheesh. I must be getting old.

I would push your body as hard as it goes. I wouldn't sleep personally, watch movies, drink coffee, pull the triggers out. Avoid to much exercise, that will clonk most people out real fast.

Thanks for the advice, I can't have caffeine but will drink plenty of water! I want the test to work so I am going to try to do an all nighter so I'm able to sleep for the test!

Also what about eating, I looked up how to stay up all night and I think it said to avoid sugary foods as they make you sleepy or only give you energy for a certain amount of time, a bit like caffeine.

I have to have breakfast within the 4 hours before the test!

Probably getting this late, but for future reference avoiding foods with a high peak can make you sleepy. You'll go through a sugar high and crash depending on the person. Diet plays a big role in everything, even E.

alice to help keep you up and not crash be sure to eat complex carbs and protein and not any simple carbs aka chips, cookies, pancakes etc. if i was worried about the food thing i'd have a middle-of-the-night breakfast, try around 3:30/4am some poached eggs with high-grain bread and homemade hashbrowns. this will take at least four hours to digest and keeps you feeling full :) you'll be good to go by your appt at 8.
yummm, damn i think that's my dinner tonight!

Probably getting this late, but for future reference avoiding foods with a high peak can make you sleepy. You'll go through a sugar high and crash depending on the person. Diet plays a big role in everything, even E.

No not too late, its, 1.44pm and I've been up since 7ish. I have to stay up the whole night. My appointments tomorrow morning.

I will avoid all sugar. I just had my last Tea. Not sure whether I should have caffeine this early on. It said avoid it whilst staying up over night. So I am assuming it meant from evening onward but to be safe I'll stop.

its 1am and I'm still up. about 7 and a half hours to go. It's not too difficult I just have to keep busy or find a film that keeps me focused.

Hope it went well!

I found it so terrible trying to sleep for the first few hours after the test but managed to sleep for 4 hours in the end. Then went to work yesterday, wasn't too bad but I still feel deprived as always. Cannot wait for my weekend off! have to work tomorrow to make up for my day off!

Back
Top Bottom