So when do you know you've had a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
These days i'll have my shirt off and my bedroom door will be locked, as I now only have seizures while sleeping.

I wonder too

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question since it involves night time seizures. I have the same question to but my seizures happen in the daytime I hadn't considered that they might happen while I had been asleep. I often need someone who was around to tell me in the daytime if they are not ones I am on the floor,can't remember what just happened etc. I wish I had an answer for you

I care for you and your difficult situation lonnie

You could try setting up a video camera to see if it catches anything. Or have a sleep study done. Otherwise, all you can do is go by the morning-after clues...

:agree:

A sleep study is a great idea, if your seizures happen often enough to catch it during one night of monitoring. It's also a good idea becasue things we think are seizures are sometimes sleep disorders. It's amazing the different kinds that cause seizure-like events.

My nocturnal seizures are pretty much under control now. But before that, I could tell if I have complex partials at night when in the morning something is broken on the floor, I find myself somewhere completely else (like suddenly find myself outside in the middle of the night), the seizure wakes me up (as they often did), or in the morning I had giant/deep mystery bruises or other injuries (like bloody stubbed toe) that there's no way I couldn't have noticed at the time. My epi told me to ignore those, which I still don't understand.

I'm also usually wiped out the morning after a seizure. Sometimes also muscle aches that make it hard to get out of bed. If a seizure wakes me up I might still have a weird feeling in my head (hard to describe - you all know what I mean).

Safety issue - I now have a double lock on my front door. That's a lock that you have to use a key to open both sides. It keeps me from going outside during a CP. I got rid of my glass coffee table. My knives and other dangerous items are stored in the back of a bottom shelf in a lower cabinet - hard to get to. My hot water tank is set for 110 degrees max. I converted one of my bath/shower combos to a shower-only stall. It's sort of like baby-proofing the house, except for it's for seizures.

Before I knew what was wrong with me, I would wake up every hour and a half or 2 hours, soaking wet, jump out of bed, feel weird, and not know why, or I would find myself outside in the middle of the night, and not know how I got there. One time I was a block away from home! The funny thing is that your thinking is off, so I had no fear, and was too scared to say anything to a doctor, because by that time, the doctors made me feel like I was nuts. I was afraid they would put me away! The other issue was that I would get out of bed, and feel like I was 110 years old! Everything hurt. I actually had back surgery to have an implant put in a year and a half before I was diagnosed, because I was always in so much pain. Funny-my pain level is 90% better now that I take meds. The night sweats, bladder issues, being tired, catching every virus, ect. is gone. I still have some seizures, but I am not having a bunch every night, and morning. I do have a lot of headaches for some reason. I felt like I came out of a 4 year coma! Now I just miss my mind!

Usually when I have a seizure I'll blank out during it but I'll still do things.

A few months back I opened up the dishwasher and saw that everything was put in the wrong place and that the silver ware was set in perfect lines on the drawers and not put in the silverware holders.

I started laughing because I thought my husband did it. I thanked him for helping and told him to leave loading the dishwasher to me. He told me that he never touches the thing because he knows that I have to put stuff in certain spots in there.

That's when I realized that I'd had a seizure and rinsed all the dishes off in the sink then put them into the dishwasher.

During the spring I'd wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat too. I'd end up having to taking my pj's off and sleep with no sheet on me at all. I'd feel fine when I woke up, not confused about what was going on, just hot as hell. I never considered that I might have had a seizure, I wonder if I could have. I don't think I have them in my sleep though, I've never woke up in another room not knowing how I got there or anything like that.

Mostly my family will tell me I've just had one, otherwise when I come out of it and I'm sitting or standing, in a puddle of my urine, or my mattress is soaking wet

When I have one at night I usually stay asleep after. I do wake up about a half hour after REALLY having to go to the bathroom but can't walk there myself, I'm still so dizzy and weak. Then the other tell tale sign is that I hurt real bad all day and wake up with a killer headache.

Back
Top Bottom