Social Services: Is it worth it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
As some of you know I moved to a new town last March. Two good things that happened are that I got to go to the Mayo Clinic with Medicaid, and the Office of Rehabilitation is going to pay for my school. Yay! I have also been working. :banana: Otherwise things have been rough. In particular, I went to Social Services and it has been something I would like to forget ever happened. At this point I'm thinking it's just not worth it.

1. At the most I might get a few hundred dollars a month.

2. They refuse to recognize epilepsy as a disability.

3. It would have been cheaper for them to give me the benefits rather than process all the paperwork, see me in the office, process my appeal, etc. (And I have missed work because of all that, so it actually cost me money.)

4. I'm always getting pointless letters or paperwork. I understand they want to know what my resources are etc. but there has to be a limit. They also want me to harass my boss, doctor, former employer, roommate/landlord, etc. I have done so, but they continue to send me forms to fill out, and I often am unable to provide what they want.

5. The result is that I can't depend on the benefits even after they have been awarded, and everything takes FOREVER. It's been going on for months.

6. I don't have anyone to go to for help or information.

7. Everything I do to be responsible or provide for myself works against me.

So, basically what I'm getting out of this is that it's a lot more trouble than it's worth. Everything is always up in the air, it's stressful, and it doesn't really help.

Does anyone have a different perspective? Will things work themselves out at some point? I'm quite serious about the questions, and would appreciate the advice of some of you with any experience in the matter.

Thank you!

I'm only applying for some supplemental income. I got food stamps, but there have been problems with that. I have been through the disability thing.

I definitely feel your frustration as I have been through the same thing with social services. They can be a real pain in the ass to deal with. I ended up getting social security disability a little over two years ago because my seizures were really out of control for a while and they landed me in the hospital for a few months ( lost my job and everything). While I was in the hospital the social worker there set me up with a disability attorney. I managed to get approved for social security disability rather quickly. I think that's really strange that they won't recognize your epilepsy as a disability because it most certainly is listed in the list of disability conditions that qualify as a disability according to social security. I think what really did it for me was my doctors willingness to write full detailed reports regarding my medical status. Even so, disability is very hard to live off of by itself and even after it's granted the paperwork is nonstop just like you said. Even though I've been declared disabled by the social security administration and receive ssdi benefits, according to social services I still don't qualify for any other benefits like supplemental income, food stamps, etc. It's very hard to live off $950 a month, somehow that amount according to social services is considered making too much to qualify for anything else. Even my medicaid has a spendown of $290 monthly. Luckily for me, medicare has finally kicked in. To answer you question of whether or not it's worth it. It really depends on your living situation and whether or not you are getting any financial support from family and whatnot. It was worth it for me to get the disability as I really don't have much financial help from family and whatnot. Anyways, I hope you're able to get everything sorted out and that in the end it all works out for you. Good Luck.....

Unless anyone has other advice, I think I'm about ready to be done with it. Ultimately the only solution to my problem is to make a good living. I just have to make it through this year. Dealing with Social Security and Social Services is the pits. It makes me feel terrible and it's a royal pain. I get so hopeless and start thinking everything is futile. It's just a bunch of stress I don't need. I may never be able to afford my own healthcare, but Medicaid is a cinch compared to all the other stuff, and I've gotten along well without insurance for most of my life. I can also feel grateful for the help I'm getting from Rehabilitation.

This summer I worked for someone doing painting, and then bid some of my own work. I barely got by, but I did pay the rent. I wasn't making a lot working for myself, and it was hard when I didn't feel good, but it was very good for a summer job. I liked the way everything looked when it was done, and I felt like I did something positive in the community. When I finish school I should be able to find a good job, or work out of my home fixing musical instruments. It will mean more debt this year, but I already owe so much, and at least this part will contribute to my being employed and eventually paying off all the rest.

reapply, be patient, they are hoops, do they have easter seals out there?

i had to reapply, several times
they thought I was too intelligent to be disabled the first time, and had to appeal,
took two more years to get insurance I think. Just getting around to applying for food stamps since the laws here since have changed recently concerning food stamps and disability.

Back
Top Bottom