Some Questions on Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kellymel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been on Keppra for just 40 days. It's 1000 mg which is 500 mg + 500 mg. At the moment I'm in United States as a foreign student and cannot make a direct contact with my neuro... So, here are the questions to the Keppra experts of the forum :)

1- When I left my country in last month, my neuro told me that due to being abroad I will need to increase the dosage to 1500 mg/day (to take precaution). And he said that it should be 1000mg at night, 500 mg in the morning.
However it doesn't seem to me reasonable. Shouldn't it be as 750mg + 750mg or as 500mg+500mg+500mg? Especially the second way, which is taking a pill once in eight hours seems most reasonable; wouldn't it be the best absorption of the drug? Or not?

2- I don't have a US health insurance. And next month I will need some extra Keppra pills, because my Keppra stocks are running out! I learned that in U.S., Keppra can be sold only upon a prescription. This means, first I need to visit a doctor to get a prescription, and after I will go to the pharmacy...
Does it matter visiting a neuro or any general physician?

3- Please give me the most cheapest way to get an extra 180 pills (generic or brand). Can a doctor give me a presctiption for 180 pills? Or should I visit him/her for each Keppra box?

4- What about Keppra and drinking alcohol? Yes I know alcohol withdrawal poses a danger for seizures. However before starting Keppra 2 bottles of beer never have affected me. I was really fine. I have not tried drinking alcohol since Keppra. Do you have any experience with this? Can I drink two bottles of beer with Keppra?

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Kellymel.

A pharmacist or doctor could answer your questions better. It sounds like your doctor is taking a precaution by increasing your medicine at night. I don't think that is uncommon. I believe there are more on this board that are on a regiment similar to that.

As for getting a prescription, I would hope your doctor would have set that up or sent more pills with you. Without insurance, it is not cheap. Is there a way to contact your neurologist and ask him the same? I bet he will have a better option.

I take 4000 mg of Keppra a day and I drink. Just be cautious when you do. I have no more withdraw issues than I would otherwise. I do lose my balance quicker when drinking. I don't feel comfortable getting more specific on the open forum, but if you would like to ask more specific questions about drinking, feel free to message me privately.

Hope this helps.

I have been on keppra since July 2013. I take 1500 mg /day. 500 in morn and 1000 at night. After doing some research on keppra the 500 / 1000 has alway been something I wondered about but have never asked my neuro. Just do what she says to do. Prior to being on keppra I was on Dilantin for 30+ yrs. during that time i had gone to GP to get prescription. She would check levels and as long as everything was controlled she would give new prescription. Times I had problems she requested I go see neuro. In US I've had HMO ins and at one time was told that he could refill prec and would not give referral to neuro.

Drinking - I don't drink much. Occasional. When started keppra seems as though it might increase effects of alcohol. No problems with seizures but I can have 2 glasses of wine and feel like I have drank an entire bottle. For this reason. I usually will stick with 1 or 2 glasses or drinks limit.

I've been on keppra quite a few years since they was first brought out in the UK roughly 10yrs ago I think...I find them a great med with no side affects plus I've had a drink with mine besides my other cocktail of meds but like (N Sperlo) said just be cautious as he's given you some sound advice on your questions. besides (daviscy60)

Plus regarding your tablets running out I'd either see your doctor or neuro which as already been suggested.

Last edited:
I'm on the same dose--and my dr says to take 1000 at night because the med can make you sleepy, so they have you take the larger amount at night so you aren't as sleepy during the day. I don't know if you are taking extended release, but if you are it doesnt matter a whole lot if it's split exactly or not. I have not yet tried drinking alcohol on Keppra because I am also on Topamax right now, and for me, drinking and Topamax don't work, but when I am off Topamax I hope to find out if I can drink again :)

Hey I been on Keppra for 3 years 1x 500 mg twice a day but recently after seizure it got bumped up to 2x 500mg twice a day. I think your doctor is just being cautious (GOOD THING imo)...

Does your school provide any kind of medical insurance?

After my recent seizure I've been partying a lot, since I'm losing privileges from being seizure free ANYWAY and so far no seizures. But before my most recent seizure I rarely drank alcohol or do drugs

In my opinion though, you shouldn't drink or do anything that could trigger your seizures, especially since you're a foreign student.

Last edited:
After my recent seizure I've been partying a lot, since I'm losing privileges from being seizure free ANYWAY and so far no seizures.

That's a real short view to take seeing as your epilepsy will probably be with you for the rest of your life. I carried on drinking and going to raves and doing coke and ecstatcy for a few years after I was diagnosed and it was 'fine' (so I thought) it didn't seem to worsen my seizures or the frequency of them- then about 2 years later I started getting loads more- especially when I was Es, and started having more when I was on the long come-downs afterwards.

Looking back I often think if I might now have less seizures that are less severe if I hadn't have pushed it harder with all the partying...

Back
Top Bottom