Is this something to worry about? Med question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just renewed my son's prescription. For the last month, he has been on the generic form of Keppra, When we picked it up yesterday at Rite Aid, it was the same thing, but looked different. Is it a dif manufacturer or what?

Probably. I take it you get them in strips? If so, is there any manufacturers/type details on the back? Or on the instruction booklet?

If they're loose, the best way to determine what a pill is, is by it's imprint code.

Or you can check these images and compare them if you've got time on your hands..

It's pretty common. My pharmacy, and I think most all chain pharmacies, have a policy of getting their generics from whichever manufacturer is cheapest, and that can change from month to month. The manufacturer is usually listed on the label in tiny print.

Usually my generic Keppra comes from the same supplier, but it has changed several times since I started on generics.

When I started having seizures again late in 2013 I blamed it on generics from a different manufacturer, but it turned out not to be the case.They were caused by my tumor growing back; since I had surgery to remove it, the seizures have been controlled even with generic Keppra from various manufacturers.

I just renewed my son's prescription. For the last month, he has been on the generic form of Keppra, When we picked it up yesterday at Rite Aid, it was the same thing, but looked different. Is it a dif manufacturer or what?

Worry yes/no.

Make sure you make note of your son's condition before the new prescription. Amount of seizures, side effects, mood, etc. Once he starts taking the new prescription, do the same thing. Keep track of everything.

Hopefully his condition will improve or stay the same. But he could get worse.
This goes for any medication.

The pharmacist should be able to tell you if they have changed. Hopefully, the new brand will not have any adverse affects on your son.
M

Thank you, all! Yes, it is a new manufacturer. Boca instead of Aurobindo. Hopefully, it all works the same for my son.

Generic med types are allowed to have a certain small leeway for the actual dose they are, which can be why brand X may be fine, but if you switch to brand Y it might not work as well.

The thing is; this leeway is very small (few %) and most people wont even notice the minute change. You were right to be cautious of course, but hopefully it will be fine. Just because generics are allowed that small leeway, doesn't mean their dose isn't a) bang on, or b) much more different from other brands..

Same thing just happened here with my prescription this month of Keppra--I was worried I'd have problems but didn't notice any difference. I had big problems moving from brand to generic on Topamax, but not with these generics of Keppra. Of course your situation may be different, and my generics were different brands than your son's. But no need to ASSUME there will be a problem--just watch and see if there are any new issues.

I had the same thing happen with me when I had my last Depakote prescription refilled. I wasn't sure if it was the same med and I had thrown away the paperwork that came with it to see if it was, the pill case did say Depakote though. I got on the internet to make sure if was Depakote and it was.

I don't know if it's the pharmacy's reason or the insurance reason but they get the cheapest version of the med.

One time when I was in the hospital the pills I was given looked nothing like the ones that I take at home. The nurse told me that it's because they get theirs from different manufactures than the pharmacy did.

Back
Top Bottom