Spouse issues due to work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have JME, but it ramped up in last year.. I've had several TC in the office, so I got FMLA..
I went through a medicine merry go round and it was torturing Mr and I ended up on a 2 week leave a few months ago... since then, on average, I feel so bad ofg from side effects and issues, that I call out of work on FMLA about once a week on average mow... my job fully understands and supports me, but my wife, who works with me, sees me as lazy and not "trying" hard enough, and mocks me for not bringing in a full paycheck... it's putting our marriage through hell... anyone ever been in same situation? How did you handle it?

I was the one who brought in the bigger paycheck and now it's all on my husband. Luckily, he's very supportive and understanding. I still feel really guilty about not working at the present time but it can't be helped. I'm an RN and can't drive and of course working in surgery is pretty dangerous territory. The liability issues alone would prohibit me from working.
It helped sitting and talking with my husband, and I was open and honest and told him exactly how I felt. We talked about how we were going to handle things and it helped. I also talked to a counselor which was also helpful.
There are so many of us here who are dealing with the way E has negatively affected our lives and it's always nice to come here and vent or ask questions.
Good luck.

my wife, who works with me, sees me as lazy and not "trying" hard enough, and mocks me for not bringing in a full paycheck... it's putting our marriage through hell.
Epilepsy can be tough on a relationship, but still, her response seems pretty insensitive. Does she know how her attitude makes you feel? Maybe you can get back on track with counseling.

Hmmm but she sees you at home..24 hrs together home and work that hard on any marriage.Trying not be brutal but what would she say about home life.i married to total lazy Arse myself who used me as his get out of work card and the world kisses his Arse i like kick it so see both sides
for me I bugged off to NZ stayed 2months.When we start arguing I just walk away for few days which I realise impossible for others.
it possible she stressed out worrying about everything or there other deeper issues.When she married you did you both have any idea your e could be be major force ..Shit do happen she should have some understanding could you both talk doc it might help her understanding when it put in black and white and bluntly it often helps both parties

Back
Top Bottom