Started shaking during seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Over the last month or so I've started shaking during seizures. It's not a very strong shake and it's just my arms which will cause the top of my body to shake. My husband says I'll clench my fists and my arms will freeze strait out, not bend.

I have a VNS and when my husband sees me having a seizure, shaking or not, he uses it on me. If I'm shaking it will stop the shaking, not instantly, and I will be in the seizure for about the normal time as I am during a regular complex partial when he uses it. This is usually around 5 minutes or longer.

Normally I have a grand mal once or twice a year. I'm wondering if I'm starting to have them more frequently now that I've been shaking but by using the VNS it stops me from going into a full out one?

That is basically what happens to me during a tonic seizure, except that my fists don't clench and instead my fingers are splayed.

valeriedl

I am told I shake during a seizure as well.

Over the last month or so I've started shaking during seizures. It's not a very strong shake and it's just my arms which will cause the top of my body to shake. My husband says I'll clench my fists and my arms will freeze strait out, not bend.

I have a VNS and when my husband sees me having a seizure, shaking or not, he uses it on me. If I'm shaking it will stop the shaking, not instantly, and I will be in the seizure for about the normal time as I am during a regular complex partial when he uses it. This is usually around 5 minutes or longer.

Normally I have a grand mal once or twice a year. I'm wondering if I'm starting to have them more frequently now that I've been shaking but by using the VNS it stops me from going into a full out one?

That' weird you would post this. I am sick and had a brief partial last night, maybe only 1 minute but my left arm was shaking, kind of like a person's hands might shake after too much coffee or when they are nervous. Right before that my left waist was twitching badly for about 30 seconds. Not sure if it was related to the seizure.

Shaking. For years, this was my definition of a seizure, b/c that's all I knew - the uncontrolable shaking. I learned later of the many different types of seizures there are.
I have secondarily generalized epilepsy - I start w/ the auras which begin very small - usually an odd feeling that is also accompanied by goosebumps, then the feeling becomes more & more intense until my limbs begin to shake, w/ the rest of my body following.

Sometimes I lose conciousness, not always.

Sometimes I'll have a simple partial (aura) before I have a complex partial (when I black out) and sometimes I don't. The shaking only happens during the complex partial.

Val, you know I, too, have the VNS and still have occasional seizures. Since having the VNS, the seizures I have now are now only CPs, so I don't shake during a CP seizures (at least I've never been told that I do). I only clench my hands and teeth during one and loose semi-consciousness. Afterwards, I don't remember a thing.

I too had a recent complex partial where I had three very fast shakes go through me...I felt them and the good wife witnessed. First time out of a couple hundred seizures and counting. I have a general pattern as to whats coming but a couple hours ago I had a complex that was very strange that didnt fit the pattern at all.

Back
Top Bottom