Steroids and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I have back problems and my dr gave me steroid pills to help with it. I had a few seizures during the 5 days that I was taking them.

I started going to an orthipeodic surgeon and he suggested getting steroid injections in my back. He said that the steroids in the injections stay more in one area where as the pills travel through the whole body. I asked my neuro about taking them and he didn't give me a yes or no about it because he wasn't sure what would happen. I'm not going to get the injections however, the main reason is because here in the US there is a problems with them causing menenjitis and people have died from it.

The main question though is could the steroids have brought on the seizures?

There doesn't seem to be a known connection between steroid pills and seizures. That doesn't mean there isn't one -- it could be that other side effects of the steroids (such as high blood sugar, or higher risk of infection) could stress the system and act as a secondary trigger.

With steroid injections, seizures are listed as a potential "severe side effect" by drugs.com, probably related to the proximity of the injections to nerves.

Possible severe systemic side effects associated with cortisone shots: disturbances of the digestive system, such as blood in the stool or coughing up blood; pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which causes intense pain in the upper stomach; psychological disturbances, such as depression, weird thoughts and/or behavior, or seizures; and severely high blood pressure, which may cause anxiety, shallow breathing, irregular heartbeat and a severe headache. Drugs.com advises seeking immediate medical attention for these symptoms.

I take a steroid inhaler for my asthma and often wonder if it's part of my aura's thing I get now and then. I wasn't on it at time of seizure but wonder if it causes aura's, though I haven't had one lately

Back
Top Bottom