Coping With Epilepsy Matthew's Friends
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Steroids and seizures

I have back problems and my dr gave me steroid pills to help with it. I had a few seizures during the 5 days that I was taking them.

I started going to an orthipeodic surgeon and he suggested getting steroid injections in my back. He said that the steroids in the injections stay more in one area where as the pills travel through the whole body. I asked my neurologist about taking them and he didn't give me a yes or no about it because he wasn't sure what would happen. I'm not going to get the injections however, the main reason is because here in the US there is a problems with them causing menenjitis and people have died from it.

The main question though is could the steroids have brought on the seizures?
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 5,104 Times in 3,925 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a known connection between steroid pills and seizures. That doesn't mean there isn't one -- it could be that other side effects of the steroids (such as high blood sugar, or higher risk of infection) could stress the system and act as a secondary trigger.

With steroid injections, seizures are listed as a potential "severe side effect" by drugs.com, probably related to the proximity of the injections to nerves.

Quote :
Possible severe systemic side effects associated with cortisone shots: disturbances of the digestive system, such as blood in the stool or coughing up blood; pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which causes intense pain in the upper stomach; psychological disturbances, such as depression, weird thoughts and/or behavior, or seizures; and severely high blood pressure, which may cause anxiety, shallow breathing, irregular heartbeat and a severe headache. Drugs.com advises seeking immediate medical attention for these symptoms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
valeriedl (10-09-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I take a steroid inhaler for my asthma and often wonder if it's part of my aura's thing I get now and then. I wasn't on it at time of seizure but wonder if it causes aura's, though I haven't had one lately