Stopping Seizures ???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
Hi All, Another question that's been lingering on my mind. I'm having Complex Partial Seizures (nocturnal) and I'm not taking meds and trying to get a grip on the whole holistic approach. I have about 3 per week (1 per night and once in a blue moon 2 in one night) and my husband stops them by pressing the philtrum, which does do the trick. However, I've noticed that the nights when he does stop the seizures I wake up with a headache or like a tension headache, which doesn't happen when he doesn't stop them because he caught them too late. I'm now wondering if it's actually bad to stop them? Obviously a part of me thinks it's a good thing since it immediately stops the seizure, but of course now on the other hand the headache the next day makes me wonder if it's bad to stop it. I don't know if anybody has a whole lot of information on these type of pressure points to stop the seizures, but I figured I would ask since I know there's many of you that know a lot more than me. p.s. I'm pretty sure they're Complex Partials because I do make the noises, restless, my eyes wide open (sometimes I'll even sit up for a moment), my arm bangs, at the end I brush off my hands on my legs (as if I'm drying my hands on my pants = automatism I think) and I have no memory of it. Thanks

I'll bet when your husband presses on your philtrum he's pretty excited because of your seizure & pushes pretty hard without realizing it. See if using less pressure stops the seizure without giving you a headache. :twocents:

In martial arts, the philtrum is considered a vulnerable pressure point for dazing or knocking someone out. Probably the same thing that makes the area vulnerable is what makes it an effective location for seizure disruption -- the proximity of certain cranial nerves. I agree with Epileric -- see if your husband can modulate the pressure he uses, and still have success. Also, you might try taking an aspirin or advil with a lot of water before you go to sleep (works to take prevent hangovers headaches, might do the same for you).

That's strange

My fiancee does the same things occasionally and I told him to stop it because I've been told not to do anything when someone has a seizure and let them ride it out. It does work when he has done it but I get a headache or neck ache and I don't know if that's healthy. It worked with my spaces but not when I had my first tonic clonic. He tried thinking it would buy it didn't.

Hi All, Another question that's been lingering on my mind. I'm having Complex Partial Seizures (nocturnal) and I'm not taking meds and trying to get a grip on the whole holistic approach. I have about 3 per week (1 per night and once in a blue moon 2 in one night) and my husband stops them by pressing the philtrum, which does do the trick. However, I've noticed that the nights when he does stop the seizures I wake up with a headache or like a tension headache, which doesn't happen when he doesn't stop them because he caught them too late. I'm now wondering if it's actually bad to stop them? Obviously a part of me thinks it's a good thing since it immediately stops the seizure, but of course now on the other hand the headache the next day makes me wonder if it's bad to stop it. I don't know if anybody has a whole lot of information on these type of pressure points to stop the seizures, but I figured I would ask since I know there's many of you that know a lot more than me. p.s. I'm pretty sure they're Complex Partials because I do make the noises, restless, my eyes wide open (sometimes I'll even sit up for a moment), my arm bangs, at the end I brush off my hands on my legs (as if I'm drying my hands on my pants = automatism I think) and I have no memory of it. Thanks

I'll be trying that pressure point when my partner is restless at night. What you described is very much like his nocturnal behaviour, and he usually wakes up with foul moods afterwards.

When we told the doctor about it, he said, "I'm not concerned, people do all kinds of crazy things in their sleep.":roll:

Back
Top Bottom