stroke

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone here ever had a stroke? If so, did you have seizures before you had a stroke? Thanks.

SP's immediately after a tiny stroke. Didn't get DX'ed for over 3 years.

I seizures mimicked the stroke so I went to ER 1 or 2 times (bad memory so not sure) thinking I was having another stroke. Was treated for TIA's but that didn't help.

Had major surgery one year after stroke and seizures increased and I added a symptom, phantom odors. I thought I was crazy so I didn't mention them to anyone but family members. Finally told doctor and she immediately told me to see neuro and that's when I was DX'ed.

There is a possibility that I had a mini stroke or TIA. My seizures began after that but of course it isn't that simple... The seizures I had also mimicked TIAs at the beginning as well. Simple partials/complex partials for me.

:hugs:I had a TIA which is a mini stroke LJ.

I've had seizures all my life 50 odd years.simple,complex partials, along with tonic clonic,absence sz's.
I'm refractory

Last edited:
no i just had a major stroke but was given TPA witin in one hour of event, my seizures started 9 months later. while driving going thru a major intersection and slowing down by hitting a riteaid drug store.more seizures to come with med side effects.Stan

Hiya, I just wanted to clarify that I know that TIAs are the same as mini strokes! Haha! I love how medical conditions all have different names! Mine were only suspected so never really treated. So my seizures were left undiagnosed for 6 years and are still a question mark. They just treat me with AEDs although my seizures are officially classified as potentially epileptic and potentially psychogenic and they just really aren't sure. Brains. So beautiful, secretive and complicated.

TIA's are the same as mini strokes but mini strokes are ABSOLUTELY not the same as small strokes. They are 2 completely different medical conditions.

Absolutely correct! Sorry! Mini strokes = TIAs but NOT the same as small strokes.

Absolutely correct! Sorry! Mini strokes = TIAs but NOT the same as small strokes.
I got my pacemaker because I was told If I didn't I'd have a major stroke,or a heart attack.

Last edited:
So scary. A major stroke is life threatening. Our bodies in the end are such fragile things.

Thanks everyone. I'm never sure if I'm having partial seizures or TIA's.

Thanks everyone. I'm never sure if I'm having partial seizures or TIA's.

Emee, from what I understand, if the symptoms mimic the stroke that you had, they are likely SP's, especially if they last a long time and you are completely exhausted. My SP's mimic my stroke because they originate from the same area of my brain.

If they are TIA's they could be affecting different areas of the brain so your symptoms would change depending on what area of the brain is affected.

I saw an MD that only practices natural medicine now. When he asked about the stroke I told him I frequently have TIA's that feel just like the stroke. He said that was very strange, that TIA's don't typically feel that way.

Before I could go back to see him again I was DX'ed with PS's and was not comfortable driving 100 miles each way alone so I haven't been back.

There are times when I am not certain I am having a SP or just some strange feeling, especially now since the lamictial has almost entirely stopped the phantom odors which were a dead giveaway that it was a partial.

Last edited:
My partials look like I'm having a stroke hence the reason I was admitted to a stroke unit 3 times when I first started having them.

Thank you. It's all very confusing to me. The people I know, that have had strokes without brain bleeds, tell me they did not know when they were having a stroke. They found out later when having cat scan or mri's for another reason.

My stroke was caused by a clot, probably from an undiagnosed (at the time) small hole in my heart. The stroke happened shortly after I woke up while I was getting ready to go to the gym. If I had been asleep when it occurred I would have never even known. I woke my husband and told him to get dressed because I had called 911 a was going to the hospital for a stroke. EMT's did not want to take me to the hospital but I insisted. ER doctor wasn't convinced I'd had a stroke, he said it was probably a TIA. They did a CT scan or MRI, I can't remember. That's when he came back in and said I was being admitted because I'd had a stroke. It was a rare sensory stroke, meaning my arm and leg felt weak to me but I was able to pass all the tests they put me through. I had no dropping in my face, my speech was fine, I was alert and originated to time, space, history. It took about 3 years to be DX'ed with partial seizures. I don't think I would be DX'ed yet with seizures if they didn't know I'd had a stroke, I kept going to my doctor with strange symptoms that she could never figure out. I think she was about ready to write me off as neurotic until I told her about the phantom odors that started about a year or 2 before. I was only in the hospital overnight, actually working from the ER and hospital room. I now realize the seizures started while I was in the hospital.

2 of my doctors have learned I really know my body well and when they can't find the problem I need to keep after them until they figure it out.

Sorry for the long reply.

Back
Top Bottom