Supplemental Income

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I just started a new job, only working about 15 hours per week. I took the eligibility questionnaire and one of the questions asked if I was disabled. I obviously checked yes, and it said that I can be eligible for supplemental income, as well as medicaid.

I was curious, has anyone (currently or in the past) received supplemental income due to E? Also, is it less stringent than SSDI? I know that for SSDI, the neurologist has to fill it out, and send a bunch of test results making it ridiculously difficult to be approved for it.

I get Social Security and Medicare. I'm not exactly sure what all I had to go through to do to get it because I signed up for it about 10 years ago, my memories not that great, and my mom did most of the paperwork.

I have to say that it was worth it. I would basically have no income if I weren't on Social Security and the Medicare has helped a lot with my medical expenses.

From http://www.ssdrc.com/9-13.html

It is not medically harder to be approved for disability if you are applying for SSI or SSD. Medical approval rates for initial SSI or SSD claims are about 40 percent. Another 10-15 percent of those that file reconsideration appeals will be approved. And finally if an individual appeals their SSD or SSI claim to an administrative law judge hearing, about 66 percent will win their disability benefits.

These statistics are the same no matter which disability program an individual is eligible for. The medical disability determination process is exactly the same for both disability programs. Many individuals apply for both disability programs at the same time and some receive SSI benefits for the first five months that they could not receive SSD due to a five-month waiting period that is involved in SSD, or they are concurrently entitled to both programs.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom