Surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
I saw doctor Friday and his opinion due to injury stroke did I need eye surgery stop eye squinting I missing part of visual field he also feels nurologist should be part of team which easy said bc not one at the big and only hospital where I live.real mess they don't look at person holistically.Getting back to topic the operation explained to me..I get put under a general anesthetic where Surgen cuts bit of muscle then you woken up half way through with forceps he tighten the muscle until you can see properly he said worse bit will be seeing him come towards me with forceps and stitching he went into details about infection black eyes I could done without the graphics.
I am stressed about this I go around use of only one eye or have op and hopefully get some sight back
The operation sounds awful has anyone else had this,please cheer me up tell me it not as bad as it sounds

This is a bit different but it does deal with surgery. I was completely under during this whole surgery though and not woken up at all.

For years I had back problems for years. I'd gone to several different drs and all they told me to do was take pain meds, muscle relaxers and doing stretches but nothing helped at all. It just kept getting worse and worse.

I finally found a dr who told me I had two severely herniated discs in my back. He said I could keep doing what I was doing but the only thing that was probably going to really help was surgery. He told me several times that if I were to have a seizure during the surgery, which can happen while you are under anesthesia but it's rare, that there was a chance that I could be paralyzed and not be able to walk. At the rate that the pain was going I think I would have ended up in a wheel chair anyway. He wasn't worried about doing the surgery at all he just wanted to make sure I knew.

I had the surgery done and didn't have any problems during it. I don't have any pain in my back now and it's great.

Everyone in my family was scared about me having the surgery, I think I was the only one who wasn't! The more you worry about it then the worse it's going to seem to be if you have it done. Drs tell you the worst about things just to make sure you know what's going to happen. Who know's it might not even be as bad as it sounds.

I'd say go for it! You can be like me. Make a decision, which is better? The way you are now or have the surgery and the way you will be after it?

he says very worse that can happens if get infection and it go to brain they remove infected eye..i beginning think eye patch better of 2 evils..i thinking of it night and day..very thought waking up half way through operation first thing I see mask surgen with scissors and forcepts coming towards me eye so off putting..i wondering up the cloberzam that day but that can give you double vision and extream stress give me sz..I either in win win or I screwed

Hi seagull, the doctor's have to tell you the worse that can happen. It probably will not be as bad as what they say.

Don't up your medicine. That can interfere with the anesthia that the doctor will be giving you. The anesthia is stronger than your medicine. Once they give you their medicine, you will probably wake up and the surgeon will tell you everything is alright.

Do you have a friend or someone who will be there with you? That will help.

When I had laser eye surgery a number of years ago, I was awake for the process (they put anesthesia drops in the eye) and they give you a valium beforehand to reduce anxiety. It was pretty straightforward. You could ask your surgeon about taking valium (or comparable) beforehand.

It's the job of the anesthesiologist to make sure you don't wake up in the middle of a surgery. It's a pretty rare occurrence. Since you are worried about it, you could discuss it with the surgeon and anesthesiologist beforehand. if you still don't feel confident, then of course you can opt out. You might ask the surgeon if you can change your mind later -- perhaps if and when they can get a neurologist to consult -- or if not getting the surgery will allow your vision to deteriorate. That information might help you in making your decision.

Back
Top Bottom