Switching generics

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
I switched from lamictal xr last December to a generic made by a company named Northstar. I've noticed many things so far this year, mainly fatigue and weight gain regardless of how muchor little I eat or exercise. I've been racking my mind trying to figure out what's been going on...

I'm not entirely sure, but I wonder if this particular generic might be the cause. I've heard that generics can have a difference of the active ingredient, fillers, etc.

How do I ask my pharmacy to give me one made by a different manufacturer?

CathyAnn31

I do not know the answer to your question, but when or if you find out anything could you let know. Thanks

I'm suprised you even know who makes your generic version. I guess I never really looked into it. All of my AED's are generic which helps save a ton of money

While I have not facts to base this on. I could see each pharmacy (walgreen, cvs, target) have a contract with a certain generic drug provider... probably the lowest bidder. You might have to switch pharmacies to get a difference drug company.

Like Fedup said, If you find out, let us know.

Cathy, I can't post links yet but according to this article you should be able to call the pharmacy & ask them if they would carry it for you. Hopefully this will help some. The question in the article isn't about AEDs but it should be handled the same. In fact, you may stand a better chance with the pharmacy ordering a specific generic manufacturer for an AED.

The article came from www. everydayhealth.com

"Why did my drugstore switch me to a different manufacturer's generic version of lisinopril, and how can I change back?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I do well on generic lisinopril manufactured by Watson, but Walgreens just changed my prescription to a generic produced by Lupin. I tried that brand but my blood pressure was all over the place. Where else can I get my prescription filled with the Watson generic again?
A: Many retail pharmacies change the manufacturer of medications they carry on a regular basis. This is due to corporate offices determining the most cost-effective medications to carry in their stores. However, if you want a particular manufacturer of a medication, it is best to ask if they can order that particular one. Sometimes manufacturers discontinue making a particular generic medication, so it is possible over time that medication will no longer be available. The only way to find out if a store carries a certain manufacturer is to call them. If they do not carry the manufacturer you request, most pharmacies will be able to order specific manufacturers for their customers if necessary.

How do I ask my pharmacy to give me one made by a different manufacturer?

With my insurance company the pharmacy has to give us the generic form of the med unless the dr states on the pscription form that I MUST be given the name brand. Maybe you can ask the dr to do that?

I take the generic form of Lamictal that is Lamotrigine, I don't know what company makes it. I'm pretty sure that I've always taken the generic so I don't know if I would react differently to the name brand or not.

Last edited:
Hey Cathy when I was on my once a year search for 'my' brand of phenobarbital awhile back I ended up speaking with a pharmacy chemist or something like that and I asked him why I had such a problem with other manufacturers . He explained that 30 mg of phenobarbital is 30 mg of phenobarbital, but all manufacturers do not share the same fillers, chemical make-up, and delivery system of any particular drug, so that in fact taking a different generic brand could cause an increase in seizures because of how the drug is "delivered" to the bloodstream. I am not sure if this is how it is for other drugs.

Thanks everybody. :)

I just got off the phone with the pharmacist and she said it shouldn't be a problem and that she will special order it for me. From what I've read online in the past few days, the Teva generic seems to be closest to the name brand Lamictal, where as Northstar seems to be one of the worst. Wish me luck, I hope this one works better.

Thanks everybody. :)
Lamictal, where as Northstar seems to be one of the worst. Wish me luck, I hope this one works better.

Really! Nice detective work Cathy. I'm going to talk to the pharmacist when I pickup my generic lamictal. Your timing couldn't be better :D

Really! Nice detective work Cathy. I'm going to talk to the pharmacist when I pickup my generic lamictal. Your timing couldn't be better :D

I'm on northstar right now and will go on teva when I pick my meds up next week. Teva is supposed to be the most like Lamictal as far as fillers and active ingredient. Google who makes yours and see. There was one rated pretty bad. I want to day the manufacturer was dr roddy or something. The name struck me as unusual. Let me know what u find out. :)

I'm on northstar right now and will go on teva when I pick my meds up next week. Teva is supposed to be the most like Lamictal as far as fillers and active ingredient. Google who makes yours and see. There was one rated pretty bad. I want to day the manufacturer was dr reddys or something. The name struck me as unusual. Let me know what u find out. :)

The Grrr suites your AV pic really well. Happy Halloween.

Thanks for the info! I'll get to the bottom of this tonight.

I'm on lamotrigine as opposed to lamictal and I have not seen any difference. My neurologist wanted me to become involved in a study to determine the differences between lamictal and the generics. Supposedly they were trying to determine if the time release was different between the two. I ended up not being a suitable candidate for the study because I take the med. 3 times a day and they wanted patients that usedit twice. Obviously generics and name brands don't always work the same or they would not be doing these studies.

Obviously generics and name brands don't always work the same or they would not be doing these studies.

You're right...Generics & name brands don't work the same for everyone. I cannot take generics as I take several AEDs. Here is more info on the subject from epilepsy.com/professionals:

ARTICLE : GENERIC AND BRAND NAME AEDS – CONSIDERATIONS FOR CLINICIANS AND PATIENTS

Issues for Generics Specific to Epilepsy

The characteristics of epilepsy and the potential serious ramifications of therapy failure must be considered. Epilepsy is not like other medical conditions, such as elevated cholesterol, because of the seriousness of seizure events. Epilepsy patients are particularly vulnerable to the disadvantages of generic products, since slight deviations in the serum concentrations of AEDs can be the difference between keeping a patient seizure free and the occurrence of a breakthrough seizure. A breakthrough seizure after a long remission can have significant psychosocial and physical consequences for the epilepsy patient in areas of life such as employment and driving, and could lead to injury.

Antiepileptic drugs have a high potential for central nervous system-related adverse events. This is usually related to the serum concentration of the drug. Some AEDs have narrow a therapeutic index, which is defined by the FDA as less than a two-fold difference between the minimum toxic concentration and the minimum effective concentration. Carbamazepine, phenytoin, and sodium valproate in particular have narrow therapeutic indices. Individual patients may have an even narrower difference between efficacy and toxicity.

The rate and extent of absorption or bioavailability often differs between different generic versions of branded products, and each differs from the branded formulation itself. Changes in the bioavailability of an AED in a particular patient can have serious effects for that patient.

Titration is particularly important when treating a patient with AEDs. Management regimens may become very complex, with titration sometimes taking weeks in order to avoid adverse effects. Patients need their medication to be consistent during titration so that prescribed changes of dose have predictable consequences. During the titration period, if there is a switch to a generic or if one generic is changed to another when a prescription is refilled, there is a potential for a change in seizure control. In addition, AEDs must be managed to account for drug interactions with other medications, such as hormonal contraceptives. A change in serum concentration of one drug may lead to changes in serum concentrations of co-medications.

Generics are susceptible to changes over time. Excipients and colorants used in generic products may differ from the brand, potentially causing problems. In 2000, there were more than 26 different generic preparations for five brand name AEDs, with multiple suppliers and formulations. 3 Pharmacies may change supplier depending on price and availability. For reasons discussed above, it is desirable for physicians to be able to use a single-source generic during initiation, titration, and maintenance of AED therapy; however, patients and physicians generally do not have any indication of a change from one refill to another unless they specifically ask. Patients can also become confused by changes in their medication. Generic names are not as easy to remember, spell, or pronounce as branded names. In addition, generic products usually differ in appearance from the brand and from other generic versions of the same product.

Generics are substituted for branded medicines as a cost-saving measure. Yet the savings associated with a generic may be offset by costs associated with office visits, lab tests, emergency room visits, or hospitalizations when the generic provokes seizures or adverse effects.

Back
Top Bottom