Taking risks with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Laura

New
Reaction score
So, I was thinking today about things that are classed as unsafe, especially for people with uncontrolled Epilpesy.

What kind of risks do you take? I mean, just cause we have E doesn't mean we can't ride a bike, go on a roller coaster or even climb a tree right?

I used to volunteer at a youth club, we had a big trip to Greece planned. About five months before we went I had a bad few weeks with my E and had two seizures whilst at the youth club. The manager then decided that I was no longer allowed to be part of the trip, that was the be all and end all of it, I wasn't even aloud to explain that it was just a bad phase.

Anyways, back to the original subject, where would you cross the line with keeping safe? Would you ride a roller coaster? Do you have a hobby that people would class as unsafe?

Would love to hear other people's views on this

:hugs: a hug for anyone who needs it today

Thanks for the hug I really needed that!!!, hmm im still in the why the hell shydnt I stage just starting too take risk again, but most of all urs riding my bike lice bike riding

Well currently I wouldn't do a whole lot. Just to many seizures atm but that all comes down to how well we know the clusters of seizures we have. At different times with E I would be able to ride a roller coaster, though the next month maybe not.

It can be so random for people who don't have very stable seizure control, or during med changes. You should have been able to go to the camp, especially if you were just going through a rough patch.

I know most people would find it unsafe for me to be doing fight training or even just light sparring. Right now I can't do any but at certain times in the last couple of years im sure I could have. I just don't want to make someone feel like crap if I had a seizures during sparring, otherwise they will jump to the conclusion that they caused it. So fighting is on the back burner until I have very solid control. I agree with that and im sure most other do.

Last edited:
Hun, if it is something you enjoy and your know your E (I don't think anybody knows their E down to a T but you know) then you should go for it with the fighting. People will always jump to conclusions no matter how it happens,I think it's just one of the burdens we carry as E sufferers. Yu are so sweet for thinking of others saying that it might make them feel bad but maybe if you just have people a little heads up before or something xxx

Laura

Its a long time ago when I was told what not to do, and I have done most of the things I was told not to and I would imagine there are a good few others here who have done the same. The most stupid thing I did was learn to swim, after that its take your pick.

I like to scuba dive, I am fully qualified in advanced open water, people say I'm insane for it. Water is my second home so I couldnt do without it. At the end of the day its my responsibility to gauge the situation. If I havent been feeling good I would even attempt to try a dive, risks are acceptable if you are sensible. Only when you stop listening to your body and how you feel you are asking for trouble. I love mountain biking too...another thing people think I shouldnt do! If you can't enjoy yourself...whats the point!!! :) x

mine is far from under control, but such is life. I talked myself out of a job riding pedal-cabs earlier this week, because i feel it would be a risk to others, and I dont want to be responsible for someone else out in traffic.

I still ride my bike, it is a single speed with one brake. I am attached to.
the public transpo here sucks, we actually worked a bit to map the bus system, and write a phone app the planss bus routes and tracks buses for smart phones, but the system wouldnt let us implement it and they but a new person in charge. we were doing it for free, we just need a system that works.

I do all sorts of stuff, if for no other reason than for, "why not" That alone makes a perfect reason, I got on stage in a thong contest in reno just to force myself out of my comfort zone, granted of course I had a seizure on stage in a strange city in just my shorts, but I do have an interesting story to tell for it, and I was a john doe in a hospital before now. But it did involve running across a town twice. Once in just my shorts and no shirt to find my camera. To get all my crap back.

Last edited:
I know my seizures pretty well so I am getting into racing. I'm not supposed to drive but most of my seizures are nocturnal.

mine is far from under control, but such is life. I talked myself out of a job riding pedal-cabs earlier this week, because i feel it would be a risk to others, and I dont want to be responsible for someone else out in traffic.

I still ride my bike, it is a single speed with one brake. I am attached to.
the public transpo here sucks, we actually worked a bit to map the bus system, and write a phone app the planss bus routes and tracks buses for smart phones, but the system wouldnt let us implement it and they but a new person in charge. we were doing it for free, we just need a system that works.

I do all sorts of stuff, if for no other reason than for, "why not" That alone makes a perfect reason, I got on stage in a thong contest in reno just to force myself out of my comfort zone, granted of course I had a seizure on stage in a strange city in just my shorts, but I do have an interesting story to tell for it, and I was a john doe in a hospital before now. But it did involve running across a town twice. Once in just my shorts and no shirt to find my camera. To get all my crap back.

your stories crack me up
you're awesome

I've had several small partials while riding and the horses must to know because they always look after me. One was while we were swimming the horses, and I think watching the shallow water move and reflect the sunlight must have set me off. I was sitting bareback on "Sherry" as we stood in the shallows. I mentioned it to a friend then laid down on her neck. She stood still till I was ready then we went back on to the beach.

Another time I was riding "Jaffa" and I chose to get off really quickly and sit on the ground. She was a young horse but again, stood still next to me till I got back on. I got a motion sickness type feeling and started feeling really anxious. He was 3 year old Clydesdale and he didn't even notice haha. I got off and had a sleep right there on the ground. Then there was "Noodle". I laid on his neck and we kept walking =) You know your limits and you stay within them, but ultimately, life is for living.

Hi Laura, obviously it's your call. Life has its inherent risks, with and without epilepsy.

Here are the two things I think of. One, will I hurt someone else, in which case I'd say no. The second is how bad could I hurt myself. In most cases I'll say yes. It all depends on what level of risk you are willing to take. You only have one beautiful life to live and it shouldn't be spent worried on a couch, IMO.

Mauy, if they feel it's unsafe to spar with you then ask them "Why, because you're afraid I'll kick your ass?" That should fire up some testosterone. Then tell them if you have a seizure, it's your way of tapping out.

I think for people with uncontrolled epilepsy, getting out of bed in the morning is taking a risk (ha Ha)

Hi, I'm probably over thinking this but I suppose it depends what type of epilepsy you have and what you define as risks, I have medication controlled 'jme' and I did think twice about going on roller coaters...but hey you only live once an I went on them before my epilepsy was diagnosed and controlled, so I did it, I have also been go-karting since diagnosis which is ok aslong as you are allowed your provisional or driving license back...got me thinkin of what other risks I could take now haha! Ice skating? Not really a risk, basically what ever I can take my three year old daughter to..we both do haha! I was never really told of things I wouldn't be able to do when I was diagnosed other than driving until medically declared safe or what ever, thanks for the hug! Needed it today!! Sending a big hug right back at ya!! X

at one point before I got rid of my car I was driving recklessly on purpose, sort of, out of frustration of suddenly being in a 'void'
I still ride my bike - I didn't wear a helmet today! 8-o
I smoke indoors too, which isn't safe for a variety of reasons but largely if I have a seizure and burn my apartment down while I'm ictal/post.

if we're all being truly honest here, i'll admit i like my wine. i have seizures whether i drink or not though, so don't really know about that fine line. i also sit in my sauna when home alone. the possibility of having a grand mal and falling into a scorching heater is a great reason not to, along with the fact that it worries my boyfriend to no end, however, like pfunk said, we have one life and it's worth living... and i loooove my sauna. lucky for me tho i have partials before a g.m. so i always have time to get out if need be.
other than that, nothing. don't drive when i'm not supposed to and don't in any way put others in jeopardy.

Oh yeh I drink too! Forgot that it wasn't recommended ha! Oops :-S. I won't drink vodka though, I had a vodka mix a while ago (literally just the one!) And it did not go well, I didn't have a seizure but it knocked me for six! Sick, dizzy, cudnt control myself if that makes sense (basically like I was really REALLY drunk!), my partner was ready to call an ambulance, things eventually setlled but won't touch the stuff again, not encouraging anyone to drink btw, and my epilepsy is well controlled, haven't had any type of seizure since may 2010 x

at one point before I got rid of my car I was driving recklessly on purpose, sort of, out of frustration of suddenly being in a 'void' - also trying to evoke a response from an entity of some nature
I still ride my bike - I didn't wear a helmet today! 8-o
I smoke indoors too, which isn't safe for a variety of reasons but largely if I have a seizure and burn my apartment down.

I think you should always take risks with epilepsy. What gtowngirl says is so true tho.
No driving ect .. well we all know that .. but anything effecting others directly should be avoided.
Epilepsy can create self doubt ... and i find that, that, was my worst enemy with this condition .. so i tryed to push everything ...to ensure i had a safe and normal life.

d-mo

I figure, what doesn't kill you, makes for a great story.

Back
Top Bottom