Taking Zonegran,Epanutin and Diazepam together

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

j.j.

New
Reaction score
Hi, I've just started diazepam v low dose only for a week hopefully due to my anxiety. Are there any things I need to be aware of whilst taking it in relation to my epilepsy. Janet

honestly i am not sure. I would think that it might lower you sz activity, but i am not a doc. I do know that diazapam acts like valium (i think that diazapam is the generic) and can make you very tired. you can look it up on a website its something like checkmydrugs.com or something close to that. It can tell you about possible interactions and that type of stuff. I know this reply isn't that helpful.. sorry. You said in your post hopefully for your anxiety.. did your neuro prescribe it for you or someone else, if you don't mind me asking.

My GP has prescibed it for me because my anx is stopping me eating as I have lost weight with the zonegran(8lb) if I have a bad anx do I can loose half a stone in a week and have no weight to loose. The idea is that I will only take it for a week as in the past my severe anx haven't lasted much longer this is the first time i've used this drug.
Janet

I would assume that Diazepam (Valium) would have no negative effects on your seizures, maybe even help them. I know they used to use it to treat epilepsy on certain occasions. Lorazepam (Ativan) is very closely related to it & does help seizures in certain instances.

Let's hear it for Pams family!

Hi j.j. --

Both Epanutin (alson known as Dilantin) and Zonegran can cause weight loss due to appetite suppression and other factors, so you need to be extra careful to keep your blood sugar up, and to get enough fluids (especially with the Zonegran).

Diazepam can potentially cause the blood serum level of the Epanutin to increase, and the Epanutin can cause the serum levels of the Diazepam to decrease, so pay close attention to how you're feeling, and contact your doctor if you start to feel "nausea, vomiting, tremors, ataxia, lethargy, slurred speech, visual disturbances, or changes in mental status." All three meds can have sedative effects, so avoid driving or other similar activities until you get a sense of how alert you're feeling on it. Alcohol is a no-no, and avoid grapefruit juice too (it increases absorption of both the Zonegran and the Diazepam).

I hope the Diazepam helps with your anxiety. Have you tried other things like deep breathing techniques? Those can help too.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom