Tapering off ... any words of wisdom

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sjconner

New
Reaction score
The neuro is tapering me off of my meds per consultant's recommendation. They think meds may be part of the problem. I went from 100mg tegratol 2xday and 300 mg lamictal 2xday to 100mg tegretol at night and 300 mg lamictal 2xday. The next week is no tegretol and 300mg lamictal twice a day. The week after is 250mg lamictal in AM and 300mg lamictal PM. Week after that 250g lamictal am and pm. I am supposed to drop 50mg of lamictal every week. In theory, I will be off everything at the end of May.

I just dropped part of the tegretol on Friday. I have not dropped any lamictal. I am already tired, irritable, and really cranky. My primary care doc is going to monitor my "progress". I am already in trouble at work. I am scared that this is not going to go well ... for anyone. I wish I could dump all of it, be totally knocked out, and wake up better.

I don't remember having any trouble tapering off Lamictal, but if you can take some medical leave from work or wait till summer vacation since you're a teacher it might be worth it. I had a horrible taper off of Zoloft but then Lamictal was easier for me despite being considered a heavier medication. You never know. I would stay on just the Lamictal for awhile before tapering off that since you just got off Tegratol.

I haven't taken Tegratol so I'm not familiar with it's dose sizes, but if you're already having trouble and it comes in smaller doses you could do a slower taper.

One other thing, on my tapers down I stayed at each new dose for two weeks instead of one.

I had no issues with stopping medications (Tegretol, Keppra, Vimpat). I was taken off them cold turkey for a 2-week video EEG with no repercussions in terms of headaches, mood changes, dizziness, etc. The only thing I struggled with for about a week was difficulty sleeping at night, but like I say that was for a VEEG where I was doing absolutely nothing for 2 weeks (had to stay in bed) so no wonder I wasn't ever tired!

I am following the schedule the consultant gave me.

Last April I discontinued Topamax and started Lamictal at the same time. I am not sure if it was one or both; I was in a really bad place. I had everything planned out. I told myself "it's just the meds" and glued myself to my husband's side. It only lasted a couple of days and then I was fine. Klonipin was almost as bad. I was on minimal (almost not worth taking) doses both times. I am taking 600mg of lamictal per day.

I am nervous that, after dropping the rest of my tegretol, my lamictal levels will shoot up. Tegretol lowers lamictal levels ... they don't play well with each other. I am nervous about my levels becoming toxic.

I have read some horror stories about lamictal withdrawals. I am such a worrier! I need to quit looking everything up!
:zacepi: Doing it to myself!

I forgot Tegretol lowers Lamictal levels. I'm more familiar with it by its chemical name, carbamazepine. I found Lamictal to very tolerable and it's generally considered the most tolerable of the AEDs, but each person is different.

You could ask about tapering some of the Lamictal down before or with the Tegratol since you're worried about your levels. What's the max dose of Lamictal? It's been so long since I've taken it I don't remember.

I forgot Tegretol lowers Lamictal levels. I'm more familiar with it by its chemical name, carbamazepine. I found Lamictal to very tolerable and it's generally considered the most tolerable of the AEDs, but each person is different.

You could ask about tapering some of the Lamictal down before or with the Tegratol since you're worried about your levels. What's the max dose of Lamictal? It's been so long since I've taken it I don't remember.

I am following the schedule the consultant gave me.

I am nervous that, after dropping the rest of my tegretol, my lamictal levels will shoot up. Tegretol lowers lamictal levels ... they don't play well with each other. I am nervous about my levels becoming toxic.

I have read some horror stories about lamictal withdrawals. I am such a worrier! I need to quit looking everything up!
:zacepi: Doing it to myself!

Follow the schedule your consultant gave you. If you start feeling weird or different, call your dr. ASAP! You know your body better than anyone, so listen to your inner voice when something doesn't feel right.

Years ago, I was taken off Tegretol cold turkey and ended up in the ER because I went status. And the same could happen with any of the AEDs, so go slowly even with Lamictal and even tho your dr. diagnosed you as non-epileptic.

http://www.epilepsy.com/medications/lamotrigine
No one should stop taking Lamictal or change the amount they take without talking to the doctor first. Stopping any seizure medicine all at once can cause a problem that may be life-threatening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom