Teeth trouble

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lindy

Vitamin Guru
Reaction score
Getting set to go to the dentist for a temporary cap on a molar that fell to pieces over a piece of toast on Friday. The last time that this happened, it was Christmas Eve about ten years ago, when two of my molars crumbled. A couple of months after that, one of my incisors fell apart. According to my dentist, this is bound to happen because of the stress on my teeth from years of uncontrolled grand mals. It had been so long since I had had this problem and now, with the seizures under control, I thought that I was home free but I guess not. Is this going to happen to all of my teeth? If you knew what a freak I was about having good teeth, you would know how upset I am by this. Wrinkles, grey hair, menopause all mean nothing to me but losing my teeth is just too old age for me! On top of that, trying to chew on the other side of my mouth so that I wouldn't damage the broken molar any more than it was has given me terrible digestive trouble and I bit the side of my mouth really hard on top of it. This stinks!

I'm so sorry to hear that Lindy!

Stacy has a crack in one molar right now that needs to be capped too. I suppose it is possible that there are smaller cracks in other teeth that they just can't see yet. I hope not!

Lindy, I am sorry to hear about the teeth troubles. I used to have horrible nightmares about all my teeth just falling out and/or crumbling. I can't imagine how I would react if it really started happening.

I am so with you on this one...I can have a bad hair day, achey joints, perimeno, fibros, etc., but don't you dare mess with my teeth or smile. My dentist put some sort of sealer on the crowns of my teeth as a preventative treatment aging dentals. It is not difficult and is covered by most dental plans. Perhaps it is something to ask your dentist about?

You're lucky to have dental insurance. We don't even have health insurance, heaven forbid dental coverage. Have to go back to the dentist on Thursday for a two hour appt to get ready for the crown. I'm glad that you have a thing about your teeth too because I try to explain to people how I feel about my teeth and they look at me like I'm crazy. I don't dye my hair - don't wear make up or dress up - I'm overweight - and I'm getting my fair share of wrinkles but none of that bothers me at all. But my teeth? Oh well!

I read something really interesting tonight on the web regarding maintenance of teeth. There are a lot of drinks and foods that can really damage teeth. Calcium supplements are worthless when they are taken with coffee, tea or any acidic drink. If somebody sucks on a section of any citrus fruit, the acid will eat away at the enamel. There was an incredible list of foods and drinks like sodas, orange juice, grape juice, oranges, pineapple just to name a few things. They suggest that if somebody eats or drinks foods like this, that they wait for a half hour before brushing their teeth. That gives saliva a chance to neutralize the acids.
It's actually best to take medications with water.
I never knew this stuff before....

But, it's really important to maintain your teeth because it prevents infections that can spread from the mouth to other parts of the body.

We do not have individual dental insurance here. I'm keeping my job so I can keep the dental insurance. This may sound like I'm a clean freak, but I go more than twice a year just to get my teeth checked, cleaned and maintained.
Good luck with the molars. You'll really need to keep them intact as long as possible. I've had a few crowns on my teeth as well. And, I also had bonding done. The bonding has really held up well for me. I hesitated to do it, but I have no regrets.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that Lindy!

If you were ever on Dilantin / Phenytoin
for a long period of time, it can wreck
a havoc on your teeth / gums; it did with me.

However, certain foods can do likewise,
acidity type foods - including vinegar
can also damage your teeth as well,
not just oranges, limes, lemons, and
other citrus. One thing that helps is
finding a toothpaste that has everything
including baking soda in it. Baking soda
helps neutralize the acid.

About 15 years ago my dentist (fantastic man - I adore him even if he's terrified of epilepsy) made a wonderful mouth guard (correct word???) for me. It's a simple, clear acrylic thingy I wear about 23 hours a day. I remove it only to eat .... it just pops in and out. It was made for my upper teeth exactly and very few people looking/talking to me even notice it.

One lasts maybe 4 or 5 years and I have to have a new one made. If I remember correctly it costs $90 - $100 and it's well worth it.

God you guys are really making me scared! I take depekote, and have uncontrollable grand mals, my teeth are killing me, and at least 2 are broken, I can't afford to go to the dentist!

keyna, your teeth may be in pain for something as simple as grinding/chomping them during seizures.

Stacy managed to fall once during the onset of a TC seizure and gracefully shatter her two front teeth (yeah, the big ones on the top row) on the door jamb that caught her midway to the floor. The dentist said, upon looking at the pictures he took of the teeth, "It looks like you smashed them with a hammer." They are capped now to prevent them from falling apart.

About 15 years ago my dentist (fantastic man - I adore him even if he's terrified of epilepsy) made a wonderful mouth guard (correct word???) for me. It's a simple, clear acrylic thingy I wear about 23 hours a day. I remove it only to eat .... it just pops in and out. It was made for my upper teeth exactly and very few people looking/talking to me even notice it.

One lasts maybe 4 or 5 years and I have to have a new one made. If I remember correctly it costs $90 - $100 and it's well worth it.

Mine only lasted less than a week!
:(

Ortho-mouth appliance, had that too,
and I would tear it up within a week
or two, until the Dentist and Surgeon
realized my discs in my jaw had to be
out of alignment; they already knew
my jaw was out of alignment. The
Surgeon put the disc inside my jaw
back in place - however my jaw was
never re-aligned, partially because he
(Surgeon) felt it was a waste of time
and money when the seizures weren't
controlled, for the T/C's from hitting
the floor, objects, et cetera, would
knock my jaw right back out if he
performed the work.

I liked him a lot - because he was blunt
and honest and made a lot of sense.

I do not wear ortho-appliances any
more because they do not do any
good.

There IS Dental Help / Assistance / Programs Available!

God you guys are really making me scared! I take depekote, and have uncontrollable grand mals, my teeth are killing me, and at least 2 are broken, I can't afford to go to the dentist!

(((((( Keyna ))))))))

Contact your Local Epilepsy Foundation
or Local Epilepsy Organization - they
often have special programs or a
resource program or agency that they
can direct you to or assign you to for
Dental Program; and YES - your
Neurologist / Epileptologist would be
contacted for confirmation and some
forms would be filled out - but at least
you'll be taken care of ... that'll be one
step right there!

The Dilantin that I'm on has made my teeth worse and worse. I too love to have nice teeth. By the way Bernard, only one of my front teeth is capped. The other is REPLACED! :) the dentist said this would happen and suggested I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months. Only problem is, he's kind of expensive and we don't have a dental plan either. My teeth are sensitive, but I did try that "pronamel" toothpaste that helps with sensitive teeth. It works, but you can't use it for more than 4 weeks at a time. sigh.

Thanks so much for the info, I have an appointment on 2/15/08 with my nuero and she is the best so I'll be able to get even more info from her. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Also Bernard I know for a fact that during seizures I bite and grind and chomp.

They also have dental schools that will do your teeth. They have the professors watching over them and they are very good. If you can't get to the dentist now just brush twice a day if you can not do that do it at night and floss twice a day. That will help with molars.There are alternatives. And there is help.

Back
Top Bottom