Tegretol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Sorry I havent been here lately, my lil girl has been sick; we are trying to figure out why she has been running a 103 fever all week!!!!
Anyway, I have now officially been given Epitol. (generic Tegretol)
I am wondering your experiences with it, and any suggestions. I took it last night, ( I got it at Walmart for $4.00!!!) I have to go and get the kiddie kiddos to school, and the other baby to the doctor ,so I will be back, love ya's ,ttyl.:):):) hugs., Krissy

Hi Krissy,

I've been on Tegretol for yeeeeears now, and personally have had NO problems with it whatsoever.

However, some people say it's the zombie drug, as it just zaps all your energy - it just depends on the person and how they react to the drug, I guess.

Tegretol,
I've been on since it came out put me on something else in the the Tegretol,family that's not the original Tegretol and my seizures go through the roof.

Belinda:e::twocents:

Tegretol gave Rebecca some very fluky seizure patterns. Also a terrible loss of sight.
I didn't realize it was the meds until she was finally clear of them a month later.

Those side effects never showed up again.

Tegretol is the 2nd drug on my
AED allergy list.

:?

has anyone on tegretol/ epitol ever had an all day aura??? i have had a wierd all day feeling just like an aura, and i am scared. i feel like at any second i could pass out, and through the day has gotten worse. any suggestions??? :( please...

Been There..

Hi---
I think that your aura has more to do with the meds as opposed to actually having a seizure (although I'm not a doctor). I find that when I'm changing a dose, I'm more anxious, and I get that aura feeling.

I've been on Tegretol for years and didn't have any issues until the docs tried to change my medication.

Tegretol gave Rebecca some very fluky seizure patterns. Also a terrible loss of sight.
I didn't realize it was the meds until she was finally clear of them a month later.

Those side effects never showed up again.

Robin,

I had horrible vision problems on Tegretol (I was on XR...which is supposed to be time-released). However, the medication did not metabolize properly in my body, and I was toxic everytime they took my levels (the doctor accused me of overdosing myself!...his logic was it was time-released so of course it had to be something I was doing wrong)! :soap: Glad Rebecca got off that drug.

Krissy,
Yes, I know the "all day aura" you're talking about. Please get your blood/med. levels checked. I hope you feel better! :e:

-Julie

Robin,

I had horrible vision problems on Tegretol (I was on XR...which is supposed to be time-released). However, the medication did not metabolize properly in my body, and I was toxic every time they took my levels (the doctor accused me of overdosing myself!...his logic was it was time-released so of course it had to be something I was doing wrong)! :soap: Glad Rebecca got off that drug.

-Julie

Yes Julie,
Rebecca was also on XR. Her doctor was sure it was not the drug that was causing the vision problems as she was still on a lower dose of it at the time. He in fact would not even talk to me over the weekend when it originally occurred. I was never so frightened for her. He finally asked me what I wanted to do, and I said "Pull the drug".

They actually control my seizures really well. I've never had one while off it (unless you want to count the possibility of me having some stare seizures a few times as a kid, but nobody has ever wondered it, only me). The bad news is that it's also an anti-depressant. I think it's one of the reasons I get depressed off and on. I've also been told there's a small chance of having a mentally retarded baby one day if I'm taking the med while getting pregnant, and there's a slight chance of liver damage. Those are all the negative possibilities. With the exception of the depressed feelings, the other stuff I mentioned is rare from what I understand. It's always good to discuss things with the doctor.

I forgot to say that it does also decrease how well birth control works. Might not be a problem if she's off medication when she's older. It doesn't decrease effectiveness that much (maybe about ten percent for the average pill), but it was enough to make my doctor want to prescribe a stronger pill or the shot.

I really hope your child gets better soon.

Well, it is actually doing really well with me right now, and it got me off the couch and cleaning and chasing my kids again! lol I am better than I have been in a long time; like a me I want to be! But, yesterday, I felt bad all day. I go to the doc today, and I will talk with him. It may be because I am getting sick with a monster cold or the flu or something, so we'll see. :):):) ty guys, I love ya!!!! I will try and remember what he says so I can tell ya. lmao ( I have been 99% better at remembering, but yesterday, was not a good one for memory.)

Back
Top Bottom