Tegretol might have caused my irregular heart beat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I've taken Tegretol since 1975 when it came. I always wondered why my neuro been asking me if I have been having any chest pains.Well for the 1st time ever I read the piece of paper I get from my Pharmacy about the drug not the drug insert, this is called information for your health.

Tegretol may cause serious side effects:
Irregular heartbea
fast,slow or pounding heart beat
shortness of breath
feeling light headed
fainting

and these aren't all of them

Belinda5000

I was on Tegretol myself for a long time, but if we were to look for all of these I am sure we could find a lot of side effects. The same applies to all AED'S we take I think if we were to worry too much we would be in straight jackets.

I was never told what might have caused it.It just showed up one day all of a sudden.
A pain pill I took for more 10 years was recalled because it caused heart problems.
I dont know what to think?

Belinda5000

I know exactly what you mean, unless we are vigilant ourselves we will never know the full story for the simple reason neither do doctors. They should be keeping on top of these things especially considering it's a persons health they are dealing with.

Tegretol (carbamazepine), I find is an interesting drug... been on it for about ten years. It took me about five years to get used to it and now my neurologist does not want me to quit taking it... yet I now the causes you get from it so well. I also have irregular heartbeat, fast/slow/pounding heart beat depending on who knows what, shortness of breath and feeling light headed. And who really knows just which one hits us this day or that. Bottom line for me is my neurologist and doctor don't feel with me it is a real health issue... probably why it took 5 years for my body to get mentally used to it :ponder: But at least I can say it has been only (so far) about 10+/- years.

I don't think your doc's questions about chest pains are related to Tegretol's cardiac effects. I have arrhythmia and there is no pain, only discomfort--a kind of fluttering feeling like there's a butterfly in my chest. Congestive heart failure doesn't tend to come with pain either. I would imagine there is another reason he's asking you. Why not ask him? As far as I know, chest pains are usually a sign of less threatening problems like angina or artery spasms. I think when women have heart attacks they also tend not to experience pain the way men do--they tend to feel fluish or as though they have acid reflux.

Back
Top Bottom