Tegretol and weight gain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeriAdele

Reaction score
Hi...I'm now on my fourth medication, Tegretol 200mgs in the morning and 400mgs at night but they are still weaning me off lamotergine. I wanted to know if Tegretol causes weight gain cause I have had to deal with that from lamotergine and it would be nice if it didn't. I get my bloods checked every 3 months or so to see if there is any changes to my blood or liver enzymes through Tegretol and thankfully there is not. Thank you in advance, I know I tend to ramble, sorry.

I have been on Tegretol since 1975 and it has never caused me to gain weight.
Weight gain in side effect but I have never heard anyone complain of gaining from Tegretol.
Belinda

I once took Tegretol and it didn't cause weight gain for me. I also took a high dosage of Lamictal at one time and I didn't gain weight while on that drug either, but it varies from person to person. Tegretol can interfere with one's thyroid, so if you have a hypoactive thyroid, that could cause weight gain.

I was on Tegretol for about a year and it may not have been a direct effect of the med but I did feel like I gained weight on it. That may be because, for me, Tegretol gave me horrible hangover like symptoms. Didn't feel much like exercising just pulling the covers over my head.

I was put on tegretol as my first medication after being diagnosed afew years ago..

I struggled with the side effects of the drug, but for me, the opposite happened and I lost a shed of weight.

The side effects it gave me were horrendous, and it make it worse because it didn't work.

I'm gaining weight on generic tegretol to but it's intentional. The hangover feeling is also something I've had, even though it comes with no pain, just hard sleep.

Be sure to have your thyroid chequed while on Tegretol. It can cause/effect hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency which can cause weight gain. I learned the hard way about this phenomenon, however I was on an extremely high dose.

I have been on Tegretol since 1980 no problems with weight gain. I was put on Deprokote and I gain 100 lbs. no fun . I am finally getting rid of it . i have released 70 lbs with the help of water aerobics and I have been taking natural thyroid in addition to my Thryoid meds. feeling much better not so tired. having fun getting rid of clothes that are too big. yea!

I have also been on tegretol for a long time. Probably 10 years. It has definitely NOT caused me to gain weight. I have, in fact, managed to be at my lowest weight ever while taking 600 mg/day. It is not known for weight gain. Tegretol is my miracle drug.

I'm pretty sure I gained a lot of weight on tegretol. I was on it for probably 12 years--when I went off it, I lost 18 pounds. I do think it was mostly water weight (pitting edema in my legs)--I was always retaining a ton of fluid until I went off it. It can mess with your sodium levels.

Back
Top Bottom