Is there always a post-ictal stage after simple partials?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
I think I just had a simple partial seizure a few hours ago. Visible facial, twitching, jerking, the usual numbness/ache in my mouth and right arm, aura glazed and bloodshot eyes and metallic taste. I was also breathing rapidly. The only thing that doesn't seem "epilepsy" about it is I didn't get a post-ictal confusion stage like I used to as a kid. Do simple partials cause this or is it only with complex partials/tonic clonics?

I'd appreciate your comments, feeling pretty confused again. Luckily my mum caught it on video so at least we have something concrete to show the Neurologist.
Thankyou.

Well anytime I have a simple partial seizure, I feel tired, have a really bad headache and my body feels sore from tightening up and jerking. I dont feel bad bad, but just not very good. I usually have to take some pain relievers for the headache and lay back down again.

Mumof3boys, that is EXACTLY how I feel. So you're saying you don't get any post-ictal confusion with simple partials? I've just googled the term "post-ictal" and now I realise it doesn't refer only to "confusion", but also the lethargy, headache and spacey feeling as your brain recovers. That makes more sense.

Last edited:
Based off of what Ive had when I had tonic clonic seizures or complex partial seizures, I dont feel as bad after a simple partial seizure. I grew up having complex partials and tonic clonic seizures and I recall feeling really bad after those. It was in March of last year after having a VEEG that I started to have the simple partial seizures. My dr thought maybe I had outgrown the tonic clonic seizures and didnt want to leave me on two seizures medications, so he left me on one. Ive had the simple partials every now and then, Mostly when Im not getting enough sleep, or when Im sick and my body is stressed out. Being tired, headaches, and sore is usually when I experience.

Normaly when I have a seizure I just sit there and stare sometimes smacking my lips and trying to say things (if you even want to call it that). I'll pick up things and play with them too. My arm will twitch a little.

Recently for some of them I've been getting up and walking around. My husband has to really try to get me to sit down or just stay in one place.

After a seizure I'll have a horrible headache that lasts for hours. Pain meds don't work for me, on anything not just headaches. I'll just lay with a bag of ice on my head. I'll be very tired and fall asleep, I'm usually pretty tired the next day too depending on how bad the seizure was and how long it lasted.

Back
Top Bottom