Are these absence or partial complex seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

buckyboy

New
Reaction score
I've read descriptions of both absence and partial complex seizures, and my symptoms seem to be completely split between the two. I'd like to describe them and see if I could get any input on what they are.

My amount of seizures can fluctuate wildly. I can go a week or two without any, but I can also have around four in a day. I have a short aura before my seizures, then enter an impaired state of consciousness. I can tell what's going on, but I can't talk nor move. I just stare transfixed into space. The seizures usually last about 15 seconds, and once they are over, I'm exhausted and don't become 100% better for about 10 minutes. I remember the seizures very well, and a heavy amount of physical activity tends to trigger them.

So, if possible, do you guys think these are partial complex or absence seizures?

Usually the person having absence seizures isn't aware that they are having them, so my vote would be for complex partials. You don't describe the auras that you have, but auras are also considered seizures (called simple partials).

The definition of simple partial seizures seem to describe them pretty well. But from what I read, it says they usually lead to complex partial seizures, and I don't think they do, since I remember my seizures. I also read they can occur before tonic-clonic seizures, and I remember a much different, much more extreme feeling before I had those.

Back
Top Bottom