For those of you who have Simple Partial Seizures/ Auras.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I was just googling somethings about it and saw all the symptoms that come with having simple partial seizures / auras. I started having them when I went in for my VEEG a year ago. Prior to that, I was well controlled with seizure medications and in the past had complex partial seizures and grand mal seizures.

My symptoms I get with the simple partial seizures are the following:

feeling odd... like something isnt right
heart beat begins to race
feeling of fear
stomach feels like someone punched me there and I feel nausus
tingling and numbness feeling starting in my left hand & foot, which spreads up to my whole body, really affecting my face
head turns to the right
body stiffens and begins to jerk

after the seizure is over, I feel very tired, weak and have a really bad headache.

I just wondered what others symptoms are with their simple partial seizures?

My symptoms I get with the simple partial seizures are the following:

heart beat begins to race
feeling of fear
stomach feels like someone punched me there and I feel nausus
tingling and numbness feeling starting in my left hand & foot, which spreads up to my whole body, really affecting my face
head turns to the right

after the seizure is over, I feel very tired, weak and have a really bad headache.

I just wondered what others symptoms are with their simple partial seizures?

I'm new to this diagnosis, altho i am thinking things had been going on longer..anyway, i am still sorting out the kinds of seizures I'm having and their symptoms. I swear there are days I'm having all different kinds of activity going on & it's confusing. but you almost exactly described one of my "occurrences" ..I guess it would be a simple partial from what you wrote.

for me one type happens like this..

my head starts to hurt, most times very top and center. strange hurt.
nauseous. icky.
feeling odd. just not right.
confusion.
feel antsy.
feeling of fear.
left fingers get tingly & numb. sometimes my whole hand.
always tired and bad headache after following

sometimes I have the jerking.

Momof3boys I always get very similar symptoms to you.

I feel nauseous (sp?) and it rises up through my head too? Weird
Numbness and an ache that starts in my right hand then travels up my arm and over my face and mouth.
Visible jerks and twitches throughout my body and sometimes facial twitching too
Staring into space
Eyes glaze over
Apparently I go very red in the face
head turns to the right
Head gets "stuck" to the right and my right shoulder tightens upwards.

Momof3boys I always get very similar symptoms to you.

I feel nauseous (sp?) and it rises up through my head too? Weird
Numbness and an ache that starts in my right hand then travels up my arm and over my face and mouth.
Visible jerks and twitches throughout my body and sometimes facial twitching too
Staring into space
Eyes glaze over
Apparently I go very red in the face
head turns to the right
Head gets "stuck" to the right and my right shoulder tightens upwards.

I'll have to ask my mom if my face changes color. No one ever told me anything about my facial expressions or anything like that. But yeah, everything you listed is what I get too.

I'll have to ask my mom if my face changes color. No one ever told me anything about my facial expressions or anything like that. But yeah, everything you listed is what I get too.

Flushing is literally a reddening of the neck, chest, and/or face. Depending on the intensity one would usually be able to feel it, your face gets instantly hot and if you could catch yourself in a mirror at that time, you will be beet red.
The autonomic portion of simples sucks; once its over all the blood drains from my face and I'm ghost white and tired. It's like Jesus! pick one already quit bouncing me from one end of the spectrum to the other.
Also I see you guys both get the stomach trouble too - I recently learned that is gas moving around in the intestines.

I tend to have a rushed deja vu type thing that seems like either a fast-forward backward or forward in time that triggers a 'meaning' significance in my thought process - there's a reality event relevance thing that reveals itself as a timeline of some sort - it starts off with an ordinary situation that illustrates a sequence of events through an extended timeline - deja deja deja vu - having a coincidence of an event seems like that through a contingency mindset showing every pathway of certain events in time - it's nauseating
like reality is at the point of the pebble tossed in the lake hitting the surface of the water but each instance of situation becomes the wavelet circles that go away from the pebble
that sounds trite but it's the easiest way I can think of a comparison

With my partials my warning is a strange fuzzy feeling.
Usually my head gets a tingling feeling and I feel stoned in a non mellow kind of way. I then warn people that one is brewing!
My speech slows and slurs then the right side of my face grimaces and my head slumps and the left side of my body is weak and my eyes cross. Where's the floor? I have to lie down!
Then my head kicks back and my eyes flutter and the left side of my body jerks and tightens and then I totally relax and my mouth goes all slack. It takes a little while before I can talk or get up. But I'm awake through it all.

Partials...aren't they a trip?

My symptoms were restricted to episodes of sweating, having multiple episodes within a 24 - 30 hour period, which we referred to as an event. Then nothing for an average of 28 days, then another event would begin with multiple episodes. The sweating episodes last 3-5 minutes but leave me dripping wet.
Now on Lamictal for 2 months. Last event was two weeks ago and was the most severe ever, even though I had been on a gradually increasing dosage. Doctor wanted to wait until I had been on the 200 mg dose, which I started last week, and wait to see if I have another event, before considering a different medication. See other message posted about possible side effects i am experiencing.

.... Where's the floor? I have to lie down!
But I'm awake through it all.
Partials...aren't they a trip?

"where's the floor?"

I get that too-
when gravity disappears-
like the floor dropping out gradually-
hard to orient
which way
straight up

I've wondered if some of what I've considered TCs when I was alone may have been simple/partial type where I've just lost balance completely and knocked myself out trying to find the floor

Now that my simple partials are mostly under control with meds, I occasionally get a shaking or crawling feeling in my right leg and I limp when I walk because of it.

Before they were under control, they used to take over the whole right side of my body with very bad shaking, and muscle grabs. Driving, walking, writing, or anything I had to do with the right side of my body was extremely difficult.

I get what is the simple partial version of status epilepticus, so my simple partials can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. It's annoying. But I'm so glad that now they're very minor and they don't last quite as long. Usually only up to a half hour to an hour now.

deja vu type auras

I tend to have a rushed deja vu type thing that seems like either a fast-forward backward or forward in time that triggers a 'meaning' significance in my thought process - there's a reality event relevance thing that reveals itself as a timeline of some sort - it starts off with an ordinary situation that illustrates a sequence of events through an extended timeline - deja deja deja vu - ...

wow amazing that is almost like mine.

I described the aura to the neurologist as "like deja vu", (followed by a "head rush") but it is not really the same as the deja vu feeling. Later found out that deja vu is about the 5th most common aura described by epileptics.

The aura was more like you have just woken up in the middle of a dream, and your mind is still half-dreaming, and it's saying to you "hey go back and finish that dream, it was really important the next bit..."

I breifly feel that's the most important thing in the world, to go back to sleep and see what was going to happen next in the dream and then bing! The episode starts.

It was like my subconscious brain, at some level, is saying "whoa, check this out, something is about to happen!" but it can't express it except in a dream, and by the time my conscious brain has got around to paying attention to the dream, it's too late the electric surge has started. However, it was just enough time to try to control the episode, I was never unconsious or anything like that, just briefly unresponsive, and I would shake my hand to try to give me a physical trigger to get back into the real world, although this may have been a response of course.

Mine are (were) very brief however and now completely under control with just a small daily dose of the carbamazepine (tetragrol or whatever its' called)

I breifly feel that's the most important thing in the world, to go back to sleep and see what was going to happen next in the dream and then bing! The episode starts.

Actually there is no process, I don't feel something then act on that, it is simply instinctive, my attention is immediatley focussed to the dream, just like something important happening in the real world, like a car coming towards you or someone saying something really interesting that you could benefit from. Draws your attention completely for a moment.

By the time I've realised it's not something that's happening in the real world, but in a kind of dream world, the episode is off and running.

oops, I see I should have edited that post instead of replying to myself, anyway you get the idea - it's very hard to describe deja-vu-type feelings!

Back
Top Bottom