Thoughts on Driving Frequency?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've never lost my license.

Always have had it, just got it renewed in fact.

I also have only had a handful of TC's because I'm primarily effected by Myoclonic Jerks(And I have a severe case of Myoclonus.)

I drive but I primarily tend to let my wife drive when we're together and it feels so ungentlemanly of me but I do it as an ultimate precaution because I know it'll only take the one time for it to happen when I'm driving and we could both die. I do still drive and take that risk but to minimize it, I let her drive when I can. I just feel like a burden though.

Anyone get what I'm saying?

Yes, I do get what you are saying. But think about it........

What is the frequency of your seizures? What is the law in your state and what does your neuro say? I think it would be more of an unmanly thing to insist that you drive if you're having TC's. I had a breakthrough CP in December and was driving. I hit a tree and totaled my car after crossing 6 lanes of traffic. Thank God, no one was injured and I didn't hit anyone. And the good policeman didn't ticket me because it was a medical issue. Just think of the burden you would feel if you ever hit another car and injure or, god forbid, kill the other driver. :ponder: I also remember a few years ago here in the Denver area a woman had a breakthrough TC while driving. She killed another family eating at a restaurant. Her car plowed thru the parking lot and thru the restaurant window. Is it worth it?

AndrewIrish

I get what you are saying, I drive as well although not so much lately, Andrew the choice is yours and only yours, but I do :agree: with Cint you need to consider everybody and everything then consider can I drive. Its not just you and I who can get hurt, I did a lot of soul searching to decide and you are by no means unmanly not driving. I do not drive when my wife is with me not because of fear of what could happen but because she is a bad passanger, it does not mean I am unmanly.

I have an added question regarding this topic I thought the whole point of getting on meds was to lead a normal life and that normal life includes driving? I haven't been officially diagnosed yet though its looking more and more like epilepsy and I'm extremely depressed and stressed out no matter how hard I try not to be. Will my life never be considered normal again?

I have an added question regarding this topic I thought the whole point of getting on meds was to lead a normal life and that normal life includes driving? I haven't been officially diagnosed yet though its looking more and more like epilepsy and I'm extremely depressed and stressed out no matter how hard I try not to be. Will my life never be considered normal again?

I was diagnosed with epilepsy over 30 years ago and have tried 12 medications, had a left temporal lobectomy and then the VNS (brain pacemaker) and still have not been able to get my seizures totally under control. I initially thought that getting on meds was going to control my seizures so that I could lead a "normal" life. My point is, it is different for everyone. For some, all it takes is one or two medications to control seizures, and others like myself, nothing seems to work. It depends on where in the brain the seizures originate, what type of seizures, are they from a head injury?

They havent been able to diagnose epilepsy and have actually diagnosed vasovagal syncope which is fainting. They say I have a fainting disorder with seizure like symptoms. I am returning to neurologist to ask for epilepsy meds because I just cant believe my episodes are simple faints. I convulse, bite my tongue, pee a bit, go into a deep sleep and am very confused for about 20 mins after. Dont get me wrong there is a small part of me worried about heart issues and I will see the cardiologist on apr 2 to dble check all those tests; but all the symptom checkers are screaming epilepsy and so im asking for epilepsy meds to help ensure that I dont have another episode. I feel terrible that you have had to go through so much Cint. Ive been able to tell from some of these threads that there are different kinds of epilepsy and some people need 2 meds but I had no idea people had so many struggles with it even after the meds plus surgery wow. I really wish all the best for you.

Well atleast your lucky enough to get your license, I can NEVER hit the 6 month mark. (6 month rule for California)
The furthest I got was about..... 4 months?

I think it kinda just depends on the severity, and your neurologist... Honestly, after my first Tonic-Clonic seizure, tests all came back normal, and I only had to do the obligatory 3 months (Oregon) of no driving and I was good, since I wasn't diagnosed and really wasn't even having simple partials at the time, but I also wasn't on any medication... so... fastforward 2.5 years later, my partials were getting worse (though I didn't know what they were, and I was still driving). After the last T/C that got me diagnosed, I obviously had my driving privileges revoked. I'm on medication now and actually feel like I'm better to drive now than before I was diagnosed, but because I do still have some partial seizures (and I'm conscious the whole time), he still isn't comfortable, even though it's all way more controlled. Other than (which yes, it's a pretty big thing for me), things are pretty normal now. Back to working, and I can do everything else that I like to do, and I'm not terribly worried about something happening.

The whole point of getting medication is so you can lead a normal life, that is so a person with epilepsy can lead a normal life, the question here is what exactly is a normal life to you. For me a normal life is being able to get up in the morning and go to bed at night, anything in between is a bonus, just because you drive does not mean its a normal life it means it is something else that you can do without harming yourself or anybody else. Think a second would you be able to enjoy the company of family or friends, have a cup of coffey, read a paper these are all normal things and there are lots more. But just because you are put on medication does not mean you are less of a person, it means you need to be aware of things like your own safety and the safety of others. You are only limited in the things you because you cannot do them or they are unsafe to do. You know what you can and cannot do, what is safe or not for you and others. We all get stressed and depressed even if you do not have epilepsy, but its something that does not help if you have epilepsy, can we avoid it,no, can we try to reduce it, yes. Being normal does not mean you do not have epilepsy, being normal does not mean you can drive. Being normal for me means you are alive.

I convulse, bite my tongue, pee a bit, go into a deep sleep and am very confused for about 20 mins after.

With symptoms like that, make sure they're doing more than just your basic 45-minute EEG. I crashed my car, and it still took several ambulatory EEGs, and ultimately a 72-hour ambulatory EEG, to pick mine up. So PUSH them for one.

Back
Top Bottom