tinnitus?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I take 500mg of Phenytoin a day and have had tinnitus for several months

I've seen things online that seem to say that epilepsy meds can both cause and cure tinnitus!?!!?

I'm also a big coffee drinker, about 4-5 cups a day, but the onset of the tinnitus has no direct corellation to coffee - and really seems to have a greater corellation to a major seizure episode I had in December

is tinnitus a common E thing? common to meds? phenytoin? it's a constant tone, and only audible to me (I'm fairly sure)

should I be worried?

Tinnitus can also be a migraine symptom, particularly basilar-type migraine, and idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Migraines can overlap or be on a spectrum with seizure disorders, so it's possible the tinnitus is seizure-related as well.

Some CWE members have found that taking a magnesium supplement can help with both migraines and associated tinnitus, so you might want to look into that.

Back
Top Bottom