tinnitus with phenytoin: serious condition?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I've read again that tinnitus is a side-effect of phenytoin.
I've had tinnitus for several months now - it seems to go away at times, but it has pretty much been present since December
I've had my phenytoin levels checked a couple times since then, which they told me were not toxic and within an acceptable range
at times I'd thought this was something due to allergies - but this has been persistent and it just doesn't go away
it's about 8000hz just fyi
does tinnitus indicate permanent hearing damage?
or is this an Rx thing?
anyone have tinnitus from their Rx?

Phenytoin is often prescribed to treat tinnitus so it would be odd for it to cause it.

There can be multiple causes, and multiple treatments as well. It sometimes occurs with hearing loss, but not in most cases. It can be made worse by prolonged loud noise -- so wear earplugs if you're going clubbing...

Certain deficiencies can result in tinnitus and/or hearing loss. You might consider asking your doc about taking a zinc supplement -- some preliminary studies suggest zinc can play a role in treating tinnitus. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9339660 Magnesium may also play a role, but keep in mind that as the causes of tinnitus vary from person to person, so do the treatments.

No tinnitus here - been on dilantin for around 39 years

Hope you can find the cause and help for it.

tinnitus

for several years now. been on dilantin for over 30 years. Hard to pick what the actual cause is. It is more pronounced at times, but I could not say what exacerbates it. I have it in right ear, thus the hearing is diminished in that ear - low tones are harder to hear. My husband has a very low voice, ha ha! I notice it the most when I go see my Mother in the country and I sit outside in the dead silence, huh except for my ear!

Hi, Petox,

Migraines and seizures often go together. Do you have migraines as well? If so, the tinnitus could be caused by migraines.

Back
Top Bottom