TLE and Auditory Hallucinations

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
Ever since my first episode I've had a few auditory hallucinations. Could never really make out what was being said. Now, lately, they've become louder and more distinct nearly every other night. I've been seizure free for a year and am wondering if I will have to live with this. It's terrifying as the voices are truly menacing. Has anyone here experienced the same or have any more information about this particular symptom? Could this be an aura?

Hearing hallucinations are frequently seen in temporal and frontal epilepsy with other psychopathologic symptoms like psychomotor excitement, hostility, and suspiciousness.2,3 Hebephrenic symptoms are often seen in frontal epilepsy. In temporal epilepsy, the seizures can be characterized by intense fear and complex hearing hallucinations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528228/

Last edited:
Hi Laurie,

About six months after my Left Temporal Lobectomy (over 4 years ago), I began experiencing repetitive auditory hallucinations. My neurologist identified them as being a type of simple partial seizure. I had never experienced anything like this before and it was very scary. I did not lose consciousness but would hear the same phrase or words in someone else's voice over and over. After adding and adjusting new meds, it took a little while but them became controlled. In September, it will be 3 years since I've experienced them. Sorry to hear that you're going through this and I wish you well.
Sincerely, Josie

Last edited:
Thank you, Cindy. I spoke with my neuro-pshychiatrist and he increased my Lamictal (so I'm a little wobbly). I've called my neurologist and have not heard back from him. It might be hunting time. I don't know. Maybe, I'm not stressing the importance of this enough to the secretary. He has a huge clinetel because he "is" good. But I want both my psychiatrist and neurologist to be on the same page! I never thought of auditory hallucinations as being an aura before. I know you're very well informed, so thank you! Laurie

Than you, Josie. It's important to me to hear from someone who's going through the same thing as I am. After my first seizure, TC, I was hearing a man's very deep and loud mencacing voice but I could not make anything out of it. Happening just about every other night, then a long reprieve. Now different voices, all male. I can make out what they're saying, at the time, but forget in the morning. Humm. A simple partial or an aura. Thanks to you both, I have something to work with when I speak with my neurologist whom I'm calling again, now!

Last edited:
You're welcome, Laurie! I know what you mean about being able to distinctly remember what was being "said", but then not being able to recall it afterwards. I do perfectly remember one of first that I experienced. I was working at the time, and when the episode took place, I felt it coming on and went into the restroom. I repeatedly heard a portion of the voicemail message of one of the clients that I dealt with on a regular basis. After what seemed like a long time, but really wasn't that long, it stopped, and I kept telling myself I was fine. I hope that your increase in Lamictal goes smoothly and that is all it takes to get things under control. Please let us know how things in the future.

Thanks, Josie. I called my neurologist and they are closed for the day. So will have to give a shot tommorow. I'm so glad to have met someone who had gone through the same thing. Terrifying! Laurie

Back
Top Bottom