Todd's Paresis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with it?

today, among other days, I wake up sore, charley-horse-ish and today with a pronounced numbness feeling
looking up a couple things I came across Todd's Paresis

I wonder if it's a permanent condition with an individual's seizures (if it happens every seizure) or if it's a condition that may or may not accompany a seizure?

I may have just aggravated my hip and pinched a nerve or something...

it must be that gold medal in the men's 4x400 meter I won last night

I get it after larger seizures. usually my left side will be "numb" I say it in quotes because I can feel it, but its literally too weak to move. it typically lasts about 3 hours for me, but my leg has been known to stay paralyzed for up to 2 days. It sucks.

It doesnt happen with every seizure, although there is usually some shakiness/weakness on my left side after them, but not severe enough to be Todd's.

Todd's Paresis (aka post-epileptic paralysis) can occur with the first seizure, or after many years of seizures, and does not appear after every seizure. It can vary significantly in pattern, location, and duration from person to person, and from seizure to seizure.

Below is a thread from the archives that mention Todd's Paresis/Paralysis:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/todds-paralysis-2280/

thanks Rae
today it feels like a combination of numb leg and having been punched hard... but because it's 'numb' it's kindof a concealed pain

I took a multivitamin, B supplement, fish oil, D... I'll see what happens

Its possible that its just a pinched nerve or a deep bruise too. With me, I cant walk on my leg, or pick up things with my hand when Todds is present

ok - mine's not that bad
no TP for me
unless there are degrees of severity

whatever
it doesn't seem to mean anything particular anyway - just a symptom

Back
Top Bottom