Tongue Pain!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penny

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I woke yesterday with pain in the very back of my tongue and it was swollen but not bit through. However the tip of my tongue is swollen and has obviously been bitten. Yesterday and today has been miserable eating and talking. When talking and eating I keep biting the back of my tongue (very swollen) and occasionally the tip. I was doing really good as far as I havn't had a seizure for 5 weeks. However when I talked to my nuero last week and told him my SE he cut it in half. I'm sure I had a seizure most likely due to this. I am to call him Tuesday no matter what to let him know how I am, good or bad. On 100mgs I was doing good but not on 500mgs. I don't know wether I should just put up with the SE (which is effecting my bipolar) or try another AE. I just know it was helping until the decrease. I hate this, I want to feel good as far as not having seizures but I don't want to deal with such out of control emotions either. I am on Trilpetal 1200mgs and Lamictal 600mgs too. My Bipolar was actually doing somewhat better until the keppra as AE are often used in Bipolar. Confused!

If you bite your tongue or lip, it really helps to use mouthwash. It burns a lot at first, but when you are done almost all the pain is gone.

When I bite my tongue, my favourite is Betadine oral because it works and because it doesn't contain any alcohol. It's also quite gentle. As far as antibacterial mouthwashes go, it has definitely done the job better than other supposedly more potent washes. I once bit my tongue almost clean in half and I used Betadine. I never got anything close to an infection with it.

I'm sorry you had a bad seizure. It's always so disheartening. I'm not sure what SE stands for? I haven't had any luck with mood control with AEs alone, so I take an antipsychotic off label for that. As for Keppra and mood stability, it certainly wasn't any good for me. Essentially, any other AE is 10 times better for my moods than Keppra. If I could take Epilim, Lamitrogen or Topomax, those are the ones I'd choose.

Sorry about that , Kirsten. SE is side effect. I am on lamictal, trileptal and the keppra right now. I liked Topamax but it didn't like me much

Do other people have seizures during the day and night? I seem to be having both.

I was taking an antipsychotic 2 years ago that worked really good for me for my moods but my neuro at the hospital took me off it while I was there. He believed it was what caused my stroke.

Thanks for the ideas on what to use for my mouth. I never used anything after biting my tongue severely in November. I sliced it through on the right side. I didn't think it would ever heal. Betadine oral would be somewhat numbing to wouldn't it or am I mixing betadine up with something else?

Thanks!

No, I don't think Betadine is numbing but if you want something to numb it, you could always try throat losengers.

I have seizures at night and during the day but these days my tonic clonics stick to the night times.

Back
Top Bottom