Tonic Clonic vs Grand Mal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nick88

New
Reaction score
What's the difference between "grand mal" and "tonic clonic"? Is there one?

When I was first diagnosed, twenty years ago, I understood that the term grand mal was outdated in favour of tonic clonic. But I still hear people - especially on this site, but also nurses and paramedics - saying grand mal. So has it made a comeback? Is there a subtle difference?

I think it's just a case of some people not using current terminology. I recently had an assessment for disability and the "healthcare worker" doing the assessment had never heard of the term tonic clonic, i had to literally spell it out for her.

I've noticed that some people use the term grand mal to cover any sort of seizure which involves dropping to the floor and losing consciousness, and petit mal for everything else, from simple partials to absences.

I believe they've changed the terminology again recently too, i guess people who don't have to consider epilepsy don't really see a need to keep up with it.

For people on the site, i suppose we just use them interchangeably, since we pretty much get what each other means lol

From what I've been reading they both mean the same thing, Tonic Clonic is just a newer name for a Grand Mal. So many different terms seizure wise so I've been looking into what's what.

I believe they've changed the terminology again recently too, i guess people who don't have to consider epilepsy don't really see a need to keep up with it.

So tonic clonic isn't the correct term anymore? What's the new one?

"Tonic-clonic" is still the correct term. But this year the powers-that-be renamed the seizure classifications to reflect three key features:

1. Where seizures begin in the brain
2. Level of awareness during a seizure
3. Other features of seizures

See https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2016/12/2017-revised-classification-seizures for a full rundown.

Unfortunately this new system means that a Partial Seizure is now called either a "Focal Onset Aware" (simple partial) or a "Focal Onset Impaired Awareness" (complex partial). Since these new terms are a tad unwieldy, most CWE members are sticking with the earlier classification terms.

Attachments

• ilae-2017-classification-basic.jpg
    ilae-2017-classification-basic.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1
"Tonic-clonic" is still the correct term. But this year the powers-that-be renamed the seizure classifications to reflect three key features:

1. Where seizures begin in the brain
2. Level of awareness during a seizure
3. Other features of seizures

See https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2016/12/2017-revised-classification-seizures for a full rundown.

Unfortunately this new system means that a Partial Seizure is now called either a "Focal Onset Aware" (simple partial) or a "Focal Onset Impaired Awareness" (complex partial). Since these new terms are a tad unwieldy, most CWE members are sticking with the earlier classification terms.

x2x

the terminology has got to be so odd and what was considered the "norm" for 10-12/14 types of seizures has now got a 2nd name.

Which makes identifying them to Dr's, nurses, other Med professionals just that much more confusing.

Say my psychiatrist, she will not be 100% up to date on some terms and then our conversation begins to fall off.

But in short, a grand mal & tonic clonic are practically the same things.

I use "Grand Mal" and "Petit Mal" a lot because most people have never heard of "Tonic-clonic." etc.

My doc just told me yesterday (epilepsy ) it depends where it starts,how strong,how long. I say complex partials because' pitit mal sounds like i mean a pimple

I will still say tonic-clonic, only because I've had people get scared when I've told them I have gran-mals', it's made them more open to learning a little bit more about epilepsy!

Are atonic seizures still a thing? Are they usually counted as just a type of partials?

As long as no one calls me epileptics I ok.to me it feels lick n word and I pick up every one both on internet and in public and I think we all should.As for the other after nearly life time I get it wrong and no two doctors said right thing which ever it is plus I would forget within seconds

Back
Top Bottom